Mobileread
Free Library of Philadelphia discontinuing remote memberships
#1  jhowell 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Just received this email from the Free Library of Philadelphia:

Dear Customer:

In order to focus its efforts and resources on customers in its direct service area, the Free Library will no longer offer paid-access cards.

Your paid-access card will remain valid and usable for the duration of the term for which you paid. At the end of that term, you will no longer be able to access the Free Library’s resources, and you will be unable to renew your card for a further term.

Thank you for your understanding!

#2  NNolan 11-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I just got that too. I haz a sad. They're a great source for best sellers if you don't mind waiting a month or three.

#3  ElspethB 11-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Oh dear. I hope other libraries don't follow suit. I borrow a lot from Brooklyn Public Library.

#4  issybird 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
I understand why they're making this call and FLP OD has gone downhill, however, they're my only source for Hoopla and I borrow a ton of audiobooks there.

#5  Dave R 11-01-2019, 12:58 PM
I also got that today.
Sad, I would have preferred a price increase if their issue is cost.

Dave

#6  jhowell 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Quote issybird
I understand why they're making this call and FLP OD has gone downhill, however, they're my only source for Hoopla and I borrow a ton of audiobooks there.
I also found the wait lists at OverDrive for the Free Library to be excessively long.

I will miss the access they provide to Freading. That has a large collection of back catalog e-books from publishers like Open Road Media with no waiting lists.

#7  davem2bits 11-01-2019, 06:27 PM
The Free Library of Philadelphia is discontinuing their paid access library cards effective immediately. Sad day.

Dear Customer:

In order to focus its efforts and resources on customers in its direct service area, the Free Library will no longer offer paid-access cards.

Your paid-access card will remain valid and usable for the duration of the term for which you paid. At the end of that term, you will no longer be able to access the Free Library’s resources, and you will be unable to renew your card for a further term.

Thank you for your understanding!

#8  Catlady 11-01-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm surprised that it's (apparently) not cost-effective for FLP to offer paid cards. I gave up my membership a few years back when their audiobook acquisitions, in particular, seemed to become quite meager.

#9  issybird 11-01-2019, 06:58 PM
I've moved FLP posts from another thread to this one.

#10  davem2bits 11-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Quote Catlady
I'm surprised that it's (apparently) not cost-effective for FLP to offer paid cards. I gave up my membership a few years back when their audiobook acquisitions, in particular, seemed to become quite meager.

FLPs ebook selection has remained good; at least in my interests - mystery and history. Unlike Brooklyn Library, which has been terrible for ebooks for the last year.

There is no explanation on the FLP website why this decision was made.

I'm sure the local FLP patrons are thrilled to see competition for ebooks and audiobooks will decrease for them over the next year. How this will effect supply, only time will tell.

Those folks that have been using FLP because their local library does not provide a good selection of ebooks and/or audiobooks are going to be searching for another alternative soon.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register