Mobileread
Amazon Announces New Fire HD 10 Tablet
#1  tubemonkey 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Introducing the All-New Fire HD 10: Brilliant 10.1” Full HD Display, Faster Processor, Longer Battery Life and Alexa—Still Only $149.99

This was expected since the current model is two years old. It'll be released on 30 Oct, just in time for the holidays.

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 7, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced the all-new Fire HD 10, the next generation of its largest tablet, built from the ground up for entertainment. With a full HD 10.1” display and 2.0 GHz octa-core processor, Fire HD 10 offers up to 12 hours of battery life, 32 GB of internal storage with up to 512 GB more via microSD, fast and easy charging with USB-C, Alexa hands-free, and picture-in-picture capability. Fire HD 10 is available in Plum, Twilight Blue, Black and all-new White for only $149.99.
“We’ve made our best tablet even better with a faster processor, longer battery life, and faster charging,” said Kevin Keith, Vice President, Amazon Devices. “The all-new Fire HD 10 has everything you need for entertainment with plenty of storage for your favorite videos, games, music, and books at home or on the go—and still under $150.”

#2  tubemonkey 10-07-2019, 01:51 PM
This tablet is also running Amazon's latest operating system, Fire OS 7. It's based on Android 9 Pie (API level 28). Android's latest release is Android 10.

The all-new Fire HD 10 tablet is available today for pre-order and will begin shipping October 30. The Fire HD 10, which runs on Amazon’s latest operating system Fire OS 7 (based on Android 9 Pie), includes a new, faster processor, faster charging, and longer battery life. Additional upgrades include enhanced dual band Wi-Fi and new picture-in-picture. The Fire HD 10 is available in Plum, Twilight Blue, Black and all-new White for only $149.99.

#3  Deskisamess 10-07-2019, 02:01 PM
USB C as well. I see it comes with the 9W charger, and a cable. Did the older 10" come with the 9W charger? All the other Fires came with the 5W which was underpowered if you wanted to use the device while it was plugged in.

The newer iPad Pro has USB C, which I love.

#4  tubemonkey 10-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Quote Deskisamess
USB C as well. I see it comes with the 9W charger, and a cable. Did the older 10" come with the 9W charger? All the other Fires came with the 5W which was underpowered if you wanted to use the device while it was plugged in.

The newer iPad Pro has USB C, which I love.
The last HD 10 (2017) came with a 9W charger.

#5  DiapDealer 10-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Quote tubemonkey
It'll be released on 30 Oct, just in time for the holidays.
Halloween?

#6  haertig 10-07-2019, 03:22 PM
According to their HD10 webpage, you can buy a 15w optional charger for $20. I don't know why they are so cheap as to not include this charger in the first place. They advertise, "Now with USB-C and faster charging". But if they give you the same lower power charger from two years ago, it's not going to be charging significantly faster. They should say, "Now with optional faster charging, if you pay us more money".

I wonder if this new HD10 uses one of the true fast charging protocols - like Qualcomm's Quick Charge? I think that particular technology requires a Snapdragon processor, which the Fire tablet probably doesn't have (I don't know what its processor is). But there are other true fast charge protocols out there.

There's a difference between "faster charging" and true "fast charging". The first term is pretty meaningless, as almost anything can be wordsmithed to comply.

Still, this looks like a reasonable upgrade for the tablet. Especially the upgrade of the OS. I hope they roll out the FireOS 7 upgrade to older tables (like my gen 7 Fire HD8) but is probably unlikely.

#7  leebase 10-07-2019, 04:22 PM
It's a 10" tablet for $149....not surprised they saved money on the charger. Just like they put ads on it that you can remove for some more money.

Once again, my pocket book is saved as I'm not interested in a tablet that size. If they had upgraded the HD-8, I would have been tempted. Nice that a newer version of Android is supported (and still heavily skinned).

Will be interesting if Walmart has a new tablet up their sleeve. For the money, and for reading....the Walmart Onn 8 for $64 is nice. The 10" is only $79 with $20 in Walmart ebook credits.

For reading and Netflix type uses...I'd save the money and go with the Walmart.

30% is an upgrade in performance....but I doubt it's "twice the money worth". Choices choices.

I'm just kinda sad that my iPad mini I bought this spring has removed almost all the use cases I had for my cheap Android tablets. I have 256gig ram which is plenty for loading up movies and tv shows for a trip. The Android tablets are nice for doing those few things not permitted on a iPad (like a torrent client)

#8  tubemonkey 10-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Halloween?
Me: trick or treat

Homeowner: my, what a scary costume. have some yummy candy.

Me: candy? you cheapskate! how about that new Fire HD 10 tablet from Amazon? I swear, Halloween is getting worse every year

#9  stumped 10-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Quote tubemonkey
This tablet is also running Amazon's latest operating system, Fire OS 7. It's based on Android 9 Pie (API level 28). Android's latest release is Android 10.
I wonder if os7 will affect ease of adding Google services. Its much less attractive if Amazon block that option.

I see they still have the nerve to mention dolby Atmos speakers when there are still no movies or shows with Atmos encoding available for mobile streaking.

Faster charging is the only real plus. Adding 30pc performance increase to crap baseline performance will make not a lot of difference.
The previous gen could not multitask receiving email and streaming prime video without a small pause for every email. Would be nice if that is fixed.

The kindle for kids launch is also very underwhelming, in my view.
I had a bad experience with the kindle unlimited for kids deal on a previous tablet. Easy to sign up to. but a nightmare to cancel. It kept coming back as sneaky monthly debits in year two even after getting written confirmation that it was cancelled. I would not risk it again.

#10  Deskisamess 10-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Quote leebase

I have 256gig ram which is plenty for loading up movies and tv shows for a trip. The Android tablets are nice for doing those few things not permitted on a iPad (like a torrent client)
It has 256gb storage, and 2gb ram.

Next »  Last »  (1/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register