Mobileread
The 2019 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread
#1  pdurrant 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM
2019 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Welcome to our 10th Annual Reading Challenge!

Maybe you would like to read a certain number of pages this year, finish a certain number of books, concentrate on a specific genre or deplete your ever-growing TBR list. Maybe you're looking for ideas or you just want to see how far you can go…

This is the thread where we can share our personal goals and strategies or ask for suggestions and support. New ideas are encouraged and always welcomed.

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an “exclusive club”, anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

You are welcome to keep track of the books you have read (or another goal) in the List Thread, here:

2019 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread

Plus, if you would like to discuss a particular book, please participate in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread and share your thoughts about the book with others.

#2  Dazrin 12-11-2018, 02:55 AM
Despite what the time stamp says, this was not posted when it says it was. Thanks pdurrant!

#3  stuartjmz 12-11-2018, 04:06 AM
This challenge could be just the spur I need to break up my lazy reading of mysteries, thrilllers and SF with a serious assault on my non-English library, thanks!

#4  pdurrant 12-11-2018, 06:17 AM
Quote Dazrin
Despite what the time stamp says, this was not posted when it says it was. Thanks pdurrant!
Actually, it was. Just not anywhere ordinary members could see it. You weren't the only one to remind me!

#5  jbcohen 12-13-2018, 07:39 AM
So how many of us reached our goals for 2018? Personally if I finish out the year the way I am going I will barely miss the goal lines. That means 2019's goal lines will be just shy of where 2018s goal lines were.

#6  PurpleStar 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM
My goal was 32 books and I'm on my 45th. Not too bad. Doubt I'd ever hit 50 though.

#7  Tarana 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM
My goals for 2019 are similar to 2018. The main difference is that I'm going to discontinue my Asimov subscription (painful) and halt my Audible subscription until next Black Friday week in an effort to work harder on moving the TBR total to a more reasonable number. When I saw the total $$ number of what I paid for yet unread books and magazines, I decided I needed to work much harder on that.

Goals are 100 books, 25 magazines, and lower TBR.

#8  astrangerhere 01-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Length Goals:Substantive Goals:

Turns out my best years are when I put the least restrictions on myself. These were my goals last year, and I am going to try them again this year.

Opening Stats:

Total TBR as of 1.1.19 - 1342Many of the paper books in our collection properly belong to my wife. They are comics anthologies or other things that interested her. She does not like reading on an e-reader, so we still have a large collection of physical books. But I want to read a good handful of them as well, so I do count the whole collection in my TBR.

Gender BreakdownReally need to diversify. I know that my collection is topheavy with male authors from my university days. When one took a degree in literature, one was going to read a lot of male (and mostly white) authors. Clearly, it took my buying habits a few years to change after that.

#9  bookaho!ic 01-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Goal 75 books (but will probably be more)
Pass first exam on way to chartership (April 19)
try to not buy everything at 99p a book

#10  Luffy 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM
My goal is to complete my pop sugar challenge. I will be quite busy with my classes. So 100 books is not doable this time around.

Next »  Last »  (1/15)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register