Mobileread
MobileRead Library Recommendations
#1  Yutsuki 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM
I couldn't help noticing today's activity in the Announcements thread "Ebook uploads exceed 30,000". Not only did it point out to me that there's a wonderful resource for proofed public domain titles on this very website, but it piqued my interest in what's on offer.

I've already typed in a few names to see what's been uploaded -- Austen, Dickens, Brontë. However, I thought that this would be a great opportunity: What are some of your personal favourites that are on offer, right here at MobileRead?

#2  gunbad 11-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Recently I have been enjoying the works of J.S. Fletcher an English mystery writer. Time spent searching the MR library is time well spent.

#3  DiapDealer 11-17-2015, 01:23 PM
The works of Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman.
Spoiler Warning below

So far

#4  wayspooled 11-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Quote DiapDealer
The works of Rafael Sabatini and Stanley J. Weyman.
Spoiler Warning below

So far
I think Sabatini and Wodehouse have gone away for awhile.

Leaves me with favorites Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Quentin Durward, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company and Sir Nigel. And Nathaniel Hawthorne and lots of others.

#5  DiapDealer 11-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Quote wayspooled
Ah... you're right. I forgot about the policy switch.

#6  issybird 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Quote wayspooled
Sabatini qualifies for a while, but Wodehouse is a very long while indeed. Fortunately the pre-1923 stuff is all at Project Gutenberg.

For turn-of-the-last century romance, nothing beats Anthony Hope and George Barr McCutcheon, who also wrote Brewster's Millions, which has been adapted into a film ten times (according to Wikipedia.

#7  DiapDealer 11-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Quote issybird
For turn-of-the-last century romance, nothing beats Anthony Hope and George Barr McCutcheon, who also wrote Brewster's Millions, which has been adapted into a film ten times (according to Wikipedia.
I truly love Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda and its sequel. Weyman's works feel very similar to me (which is why included him). I may have to read some McCutcheon, now that you've gone and mentioned him in the same sentence as Anthony Hope.

#8  NickyWithNook 11-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Two authors I would suggest are Emile Zola and Elizabeth Gaskell.

#9  JLius 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Voltaire (Candide)

#10  gbm 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
R. Austin Freeman if you enjoy Mystery and Crime.

bernie

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register