Mobileread
Unable to Open Previously or Newly Sideloaded Books on Glowlight Plus 3
#1  GoodCompany 06-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Greetings. I just had an update and now none of my sideloaded books will open. When I click on them it takes me to a page with a menu that reads: Details/Customer Reviews/Editorial Reviews/More Like This. There is a "read" button next to an image of the cover of the book. When I tap on that I get the message: "Could not launch reader." Additionally, I got a book from Kobo today and have made several attempts to sideload it both from within Calibre and directly from my PC. I've put the book in both Nook/My Files/Books (which is where my other sideloaded files are) as well as just in Nook/My Files. I also noticed when I sideloaded this from Calibre it shows up as just as a file whereas my other sideloaded books show up as folders. Regardless, I can't open any of them and the new one doesn't even show up in my library on my reader. Any suggestions? I love the hardware to the Glowlight Plus 3, my favorite of the three readers I've owned, but it sure is a lot of effort just to open a book! Time for a Kobo?

#2  RWTS 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky, but have you powered down the Nook and restarted it? I had some issues once after an update and a reboot fixed everything. The only other option I can think of is to do a factory reset and reload your books. Hopefully someone else can chime in with ideas.

#3  GoodCompany 06-23-2020, 01:08 AM
Thank you RWTS, and not snarky at all. I did restart again tonight, and while it didn't affect anything currently on my reader, it does appear I can now sideload and open some books (but not others.) A bit of a mystery. The good news is I was able to open the book I'm currently reading. Thanks again for your response.

#4  ZodWallop 06-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Quote GoodCompany
Thank you RWTS, and not snarky at all. I did restart again tonight, and while it didn't affect anything currently on my reader, it does appear I can now sideload and open some books (but not others.) A bit of a mystery. The good news is I was able to open the book I'm currently reading. Thanks again for your response.
The books that won't open, have you tried removing them from the Nook using Calibre, ejecting the Nook, then plugging it in again and adding them back?

This is all just guesswork. I don't know if it will help or not. I haven't had that issue on either of my Nooks (knock on wood).

#5  GoodCompany 07-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion ZodWallop. After waiting 40 minutes today, I spoke with a BN rep. Somehow my Adobe ID got wiped out, so we added that, but when I hung up it was still hit and miss on what books were opening (even after re-donwloading), so I took her other suggestion and erased and reregistered and now everything is hunky dorey. This is why I so appreciate Calibre and having all my books in one place. I have come so close so many times to giving up on the Nook and going back to a Kindle or moving on to a Kobo, but when the Glowlight is functioning, I haven't had a reading experience I like better.

#6  ZodWallop 07-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Quote GoodCompany
I have come so close so many times to giving up on the Nook and going back to a Kindle or moving on to a Kobo, but when the Glowlight is functioning, I haven't had a reading experience I like better.
I agree. I bounce back and for between my 2015 Glowlight Plus and my Kobo Clara (the Glowlight 3 was snatched by the better half long ago).

Incidentally, the Glowlight Plus seems more stable than the Glowlight 3. I think in part it's due to the way Calibre sideloads to the 3.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register