Mobileread
Nook App for Windows Unavailable?
#1  RWTS 05-23-2020, 10:51 PM
Long time forum reader de-lurking.

I followed the link on Barnes & Noble's website to download the Nook App for Windows and met with this message:

"NOOK – Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Comics is currently not available."

It's been like that for a few days now. I understand no one here can provide answers as to what B&N is doing, but I was curious about a couple of things. 1) Any idea how long the app has been unavailable? 2) Does B&N have a history of removing the app for download before a new version is released?

Thank you.

#2  Musicman 05-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Barnes and Nobles has been doing some things lately with no announcements. I checked the app I have installed and it seems to still work, at least for now. Their Android app is still available, so maybe the have abandoned windows.

#3  Deskisamess 05-24-2020, 08:54 AM
You're trying from here? What version of Windows are you running? Looks like it has to be 8.1 or newer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/nook-books-magazines-newspapers-comics/9wzdncrfj33h?rtc=1&activetab=pivotverviewtab

#4  JSWolf 05-24-2020, 09:13 AM
Quote RWTS
Long time forum reader de-lurking.

I followed the link on Barnes & Noble's website to download the Nook App for Windows and met with this message:

"NOOK – Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Comics is currently not available."

It's been like that for a few days now. I understand no one here can provide answers as to what B&N is doing, but I was curious about a couple of things. 1) Any idea how long the app has been unavailable? 2) Does B&N have a history of removing the app for download before a new version is released?

Thank you.
If you are looking for the desktop app, even if you find it someplace, it no longer works.

#5  Musicman 05-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Quote Deskisamess
You're trying from here? What version of Windows are you running? Looks like it has to be 8.1 or newer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/nook-books-magazines-newspapers-comics/9wzdncrfj33h?rtc=1&activetab=pivotverviewtab
That link to the app shows that it is not available.

#6  Musicman 05-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Quote JSWolf
If you are looking for the desktop app, even if you find it someplace, it no longer works.
The app for Windows 10 that I have installed does still work (at least for now). The app Nook for PC is the one that no longer works.

#7  RWTS 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Quote Deskisamess

Yes, that is the app I was hoping to download.

I had installed the app a while back on my Windows 8.1 machine. It still loaded and I was able to browse the store, but I couldn't download any of my new book purchases to my PC. I logged out, logged back in, no go. I tried to download them a few different times in case B&N's servers were down for maintenance or whatever.

Then I made the mistake of uninstalling it. The Windows 8.1 store shows the Nook app in my list of apps, but when I try to reinstall it I get a message that it's no longer available.

I figured B&N had phased out support for Windows 8.1 and went to download it on my Windows 10 laptop. That's when I learned the app is MIA. I became curious as to how long it's been gone and if there's any history of the app being taken down and put up again. Looks like the disappearance is new.

Thanks for all the replies!

#8  ZodWallop 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM
So Barnes and Noble discontinued their Nook app for Windows right as their physical stores are closed and ebooks are on a bit of an upswing.

That brilliant timing is what got them to where they are today.

#9  cgsmom 05-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Well, that's just great. I try to keep giving BN the benefit of the doubt, but they seem determined to alienate everyone using ebooks. I still have a couple of magazine subscriptions with them for magazines not carried in Zinio. I guess I had better cancel them and go with pdf subscriptions.

#10  ZodWallop 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Quote cgsmom
Well, that's just great. I try to keep giving BN the benefit of the doubt, but they seem determined to alienate everyone using ebooks. I still have a couple of magazine subscriptions with them for magazines not carried in Zinio. I guess I had better cancel them and go with pdf subscriptions.
I still like B&N's hardware a lot. If a new Nook came out that looked nice hardware-wise, I'd still buy it, knowing I can sideload.

But their business decisions...

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register