Mobileread
Strange bug editing in BookView
#1  ZioNemo 05-05-2019, 10:13 AM
I am unsure if this is the right place to report this kind of bugs.
Please feel free to redirect me as needed.

A minimal example to reproduce the bug is:
Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
</head>
<body>
<div class="scene">
<p>Jona era appena uscito che il Sacerdote chiamò il suo Apprendista e dette una serie di ordini, poi tornò a parlare con l’Amuleto.<br/>Poco dopo una piccola processione composta dal Sacerdote...</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Together wit the following CSS fragment:
Code
p:first-child:first-letter { float: left; font-size: 3em; line-height: 1; margin-bottom: -0.20em; margin-right: 0.05em; margin-top: -0.1em;
}
If you try to convert the newline (<br/>) to a proper paragraph (</p><p>) in BookView (i.e: cursor at end of first line, [del], [enter]) result is:
Code
... con l’Amulet</p>
<p>&nbsp;oPoco...
which does not look right

This does *not* happen without the "drop-caps CSS fragment.

#2  DiapDealer 05-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Lots of strange things happen when editing in Book View. That's why it's highly recommended that you don't do it.

#3  Turtle91 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Perhaps a large sticky..."Problems with editing in Book View"....with a single post "DON'T DO IT"...then close the thread??? lolz

#4  DNSB 05-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Quote Turtle91
Perhaps a large sticky..."Problems with editing in Book View"....with a single post "DON'T DO IT"...then close the thread??? lolz
I'd add "THIS MEANS YOU!".

#5  BetterRed 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Quote Turtle91
A black on yellow warning in the status line would be better, probably with a link to an explanatory note, here or the Sigil Wiki.

The majority of people don't see the stickies (or Similar Threats). I often have to move inappropriate threads from calibre's Development sub-forum, despite the UPPER case sticky.

BR

#6  ZioNemo 05-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Sorry Sirs,
I do understand this is a volunteer project, but that's not an excuse to mock people having problem with it.

If editing in in Book View is not supported then, pretty please, disable it and make Book View read-only.

Today Sigil became unresponsive and I had to kill it.
Problem was it filled one of the files with 800k+ worth of "#160", choking (almost) to death.
I *might* have edited something while in Book View, but that doesn't seem a valid excuse for this behavior.

As said, if Book View is so buggy, PLEASE disable editing, for user's sake.

#7  DiapDealer 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Quote ZioNemo
Sorry Sirs,
I do understand this is a volunteer project, but that's not an excuse to mock people having problem with it.
Apologies. We sometimes assume everyone knows this because it's talked about all the time here at the support forums. It's a bit of a mantra: "don't use Book View for editing."

Quote ZioNemo
If editing in in Book View is not supported then, pretty please, disable it and make Book View read-only.
I'll do you one better: the next release of Sigil, will very likely be the last version that has Book View in it at all. After that, it will be gone.

But you can already stop using Book View and use the read-only Preview that has been a part of Sigil for a long, long time. Trying to make Book View read-only would be much more difficult that yanking it completely.

#8  ZioNemo 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Thanks.

I found Preview a bit difficult to use because it resembles less to final aspect, but that's a minor issue.

If you plan to make it the default tool I suggest, if possible, to make it behave as the Book View; I mean: to have a toggle button switching from editing to preview and back, that would make it much less confucing (IMHO, of course).

Thanks.

#9  lumpynose 05-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Quote DiapDealer
I'll do you one better: the next release of Sigil, will very likely be the last version that has Book View in it at all. After that, it will be gone.
Please keep Preview!

#10  DiapDealer 05-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Quote lumpynose
Please keep Preview!
Oh god, yes. Preview isn't going anywhere.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register