Mobileread
Adding a Dark Theme to Sigil
#1  slowsmile 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM
I've just added a dark theme to Sigil -- see thumbnail.

If anyone else wants to try doing this then do the following:

* Go to Github with this link: QDarkStylesheet

* Copy all the css code on the GitHub page.

* Using any text editor like Notepad or TextMate create a new file on your desktop called "qt_styles.qss" and paste all the copied code into that new file and save it.

* Open Sigil and go to Plugins > Manage Plugins > Open Preferences Location and copy your new "qt_styles.qss" file into that directory.

* Restart Sigil.

Other dark themes you can try that work on Sigil:
DarkOrange
SigilSnip.JPG 

#2  arakish 07-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Thanks a bunch. I much prefer dark themes because they are infinitely easier on the eyes. Learned this way back in 1997 when taking a web site design class. I found a Harvard study that showed this very fact. Yet, Microsoft pushed for the "paper" look as to blind us from what they are truly doing behind our monitors... ;-P

rmfr

#3  slowsmile 07-12-2018, 11:45 PM
@arakish...I agree with what you say but don't get too excited because there are problems with the QDarkStyleSheet plugin as you'll discover. I'm currently playing with the qss styles to see if I can lighten the black background slightly in the main tab frame so that the text is more readable in html view and text view on Sigil. I'm also looking for other qss dark themes on the inet that might also work in Sigil. I'll post links to them if I can find any.

#4  BetterRed 07-13-2018, 04:07 AM
Quote arakish
Yet, Microsoft pushed for the "paper" look as to blind us from what they are truly doing behind our monitors... ;-P
Apple and MS just copied what they saw at Parc Place when they had a look at Xerox Star. Find some screen shot images from Apple Lisa, Lisa was Wozniak's baby and it pre-dated Windows by at least 5 years, also remember MS was paying GUI design royalties to Apple.

Ooops: forgot to say thank you. slowsmile

I'll wait a bit in the hope that you overcome the glitches and/or find an acceptable alternative. For me, looking at scads of CSS code is a sure-fire anaesthetic. Even if it's front ended with a GUI, as in the calibre editor, I throw up my hands saying "Can't be bothered with this glitz-n-glamour nonsense"

BR

#5  Thasaidon 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Hi @slowsmile

Thanks for the information and making the css availiable.

I do not like such a dark screen but I should be able to amend it to one based on soft shades of green. From what I understand green is the easiest colour on the eyes.

I will let you know how I get on.

#6  theducks 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Quote BetterRed
Apple and MS just copied what they saw at Parc Place when they had a look at Xerox Star.

BR
That was Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center)
The company I worked for, built ~200 'Graphics Workstations' for internal use world wide. They used a Monochrome Display on the desk (the rest sat on the floor)
I think a goodly chunk of the Silicon Valley toyed with the idea the Star represented. Apple ran with it. Even the 1 button mouse

#7  JustinThought 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Thank you for doing this, slowsmile. I've wanted a dark theme for Sigil ever since starting to use it.

One little detail. I seldom use the --element examiner-- (not sure if that's what it's called--the little slide-up window in the preview window), but I happened to be tracking down a little formatting problem yesterday, and mine was still open. That window was not affected by your addition.

For those who are now taking this ball and running with it, please share your results with the rest of us. I'm not completely enamored with some of the colors that showed up--but I'm working in daylight right now. I'll check back later, after dark, and see if I like it better.

Many thanks!

#8  DiapDealer 07-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Just so you "themers" all know; the next version of Sigil has added the ability to define a custom user stylesheet that is applied to Preview and Book View (which cannot be styled via the .qss file). Those with the ability to compile Sigil themselves can check it out now. The rest will have to wait (hopefully no longer than the end of July). Just create a file named "custom_preview_style.css" in your Sigil Preferences directory and add your custom css to it. Sigil will load it whenever it launches.

Just remember that you're on your own should an epub's css decide to pick a fight with your custom user css.

#9  slowsmile 07-13-2018, 07:42 PM
I can confirm what DiapDealer has said. I've been playing around and altering some values in the qss file. I've discovered that it's just not possible to change any styling in Book View which is dim and almost unreadable when you use QDarkStyleSheet. And in HTML View you can only change a few styles for just the book text like background color, foreground color and font styles. But you cannot alter the styling of any of the xml or doctype headers or html tags or anything alse. So this greatly limits what you can actually do to style your document.

See example thumbnail below where I've changed just the background color, text color and some fonts(based on QDarkStyleSheet) in Sigil's main tab frame by altering a couple of style properties in the qt_styles.qss stylesheet.
QSSDarkSky.JPG 

#10  Thasaidon 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Quote DiapDealer
Just so you "themers" all know; the next version of Sigil has added the ability to define a custom user stylesheet that is applied to Preview and Book View ...... (hopefully no longer than the end of July). Just remember that you're on your own should an epub's css decide to pick a fight with your custom user css.
Whee...

Thanks for the info.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register