Mobileread
Accented letters not detected on HTML import
#1  HarryT 08-11-2009, 08:22 AM
When I import an HTML file into Sigil which is encoded for the 1252 character set, "extended" characters such as accented letters, dashes, etc, all end up being displayed as a little "diamond" with a question mark in it by Sigil. Is there any way to support the recognition of these characters?

[I've checked the issues log, and can't see any mention of this.]

#2  ldolse 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I suspect that might be an enhancement request to support non-unicode encodings.

Should be simple to save the doc in UTF-8 before opening in Sigil regardless.

#3  Valloric 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Quote HarryT
When I import an HTML file into Sigil which is encoded for the 1252 character set, "extended" characters such as accented letters, dashes, etc, all end up being displayed as a little "diamond" with a question mark in it by Sigil. Is there any way to support the recognition of these characters?
If your HTML file specifies an encoding, Sigil should convert it to Unicode just fine. But I too have noticed some problems with this lately (on your Haggard Anthology actually).

Create an issue and attach a file illustrating this (the smaller the file, the better).

#4  HarryT 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Will do.

#5  HarryT 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I've raised issue #74, with a one-paragraph sample HTML file which illustrates the problem. It contains the word "protégée"; on import into Sigil, the two letters with accents are replaced with "?" in a diamond.

#6  Valloric 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Quote HarryT
I've raised issue #74, with a one-paragraph sample HTML file which illustrates the problem. It contains the word "protégée"; on import into Sigil, the two letters with accents are replaced with "?" in a diamond.
See my comment on that issue. You need to reorder the <meta> tag. I'll implement a workaround for this in the next release.

#7  HarryT 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks!

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register