Mobileread
6" e-reader with light
#1  Amiieey 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I own the Kindle 5 and I really like it, but I am starting to want a 6" e-reader with a built in light. I am wondering what are your favorites or recommendations?

My only requirement: Needs to take .ePub files since I sideload.

These are not requirements, but would be nice if:
- Option for Comfort Light (I know that's on Kobos, but any others that have similar?)
- Physical page turn buttons
- Expandable memory
- Not too expensive

But I am really flexible to open to any and all brands or types.

Thanks.

#2  ZodWallop 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Quote Amiieey
Hi,

I own the Kindle 5 and I really like it, but I am starting to want a 6" e-reader with a built in light. I am wondering what are your favorites or recommendations?

My only requirement: Needs to take .ePub files since I sideload.

These are not requirements, but would be nice if:
- Option for Comfort Light (I know that's on Kobos, but any others that have similar?)
- Physical page turn buttons
- Expandable memory
- Not too expensive

But I am really flexible to open to any and all brands or types.

Thanks.
In the US, a Nook Glowlight 3 would fit all your requirements except for expandable memory.

But be warned, Glowlight 3's can be buggy and slow. Mine works better than others that have reported here, but every time I sideload and eject, I have to wait a good ten minutes for the thing to set itself back up.

For day-to-day use, my Glowlight 3 is fine. But I prefer my Kobo Clara HD. It's just a more stable experience and the software is overall better than Nooks. No page turn buttons. So be aware of that.

#3  bookyboy 11-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Do the buttons on the glowlight 3 ever soften up over time and with usage?

In comparing it with a 7.8” GLP, I noticed that the buttons were way louder and much more clicky (annoyingly so) on the Store demo model

#4  ZodWallop 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Quote bookyboy
Do the buttons on the glowlight 3 ever soften up over time and with usage?

In comparing it with a 7.8” GLP, I noticed that the buttons were way louder and much more clicky (annoyingly so) on the Store demo model
Perhaps it is due to my brutish nature, but the buttons on the 3 feel fine to me. I have not yet seen the 2019 Plus, so I can't compare the two. Also, I had no issues with the buttons on the Nook ST, which some hated. So my words may be of no help.

If clicky buttons are a concern, I would recommend you at least try a Kobo Clara. Yes, there are no buttons (and yes, we have no bananas). But you can change the area of the screen you touch to turn the page, so the entire bottom of the screen is next and the top is previous. That is very similar to how I had the buttons set on my Nook ST and Glowlight 3. I can read with either hand and turn the page.

#5  bookyboy 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Perhaps it is due to my brutish nature, but the buttons on the 3 feel fine to me. I have not yet seen the 2019 Plus, so I can't compare the two. Also, I had no issues with the buttons on the Nook ST, which some hated. So my words may be of no help.

If clicky buttons are a concern, I would recommend you at least try a Kobo Clara. Yes, there are no buttons (and yes, we have no bananas). But you can change the area of the screen you touch to turn the page, so the entire bottom of the screen is next and the top is previous. That is very similar to how I had the buttons set on my Nook ST and Glowlight 3. I can read with either hand and turn the page.
Sorry I should’ve been more clear - it’s the sound of the buttons not the feel that I’m concerned about.

I’ve already owned and sold a Clara HD but thank you for the thought

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register