Mobileread
New kobo micro SD extension question
#1  christopher22 10-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Just a thought. Is it possible to connect the micro usb port to a card reader and you could use that as sort of your external card for the kobo's that don't have the micro sd card slots?

#2  rtiangha 10-20-2019, 11:08 PM
I don't believe the Kobos have a USB OTG driver compiled into the kernel by default (that's the base level of kernel hardware support that you'd need for this to work) but I could be mistaken.

#3  FrustratedReader 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Not with anything I've tried.
An SD card reader will work with an OTG micro USB to USB A adaptor for almost any phone or tablet not made by Apple.
AFAIK there is no ereader (I've tried 6 brands, 3 x kobo modes, 2 x sony models and numerous kindles that does.

The Kindle PW3 DOES have OTG enabled as a generic USB audio stick works. However nothing else does. Extra firmware needs downloaded and installed from Amazon first for Accessibility, however the text to speech is not as usable as the Kindle keyboard and Kindle DXG because it messes up the normal GUI for touch replacing it with speech prompts and touch.

I've tried keyboards, mice, USB memory, USB HDD, USB sd card reader, USB hub and even a USB ethernet adaptor. All worked on many versions of Android phones and tablets going back years, win phone and Win Tablet.
Only the Windows phone can charge (with a special cable) in OTG host mode. All other devices only take USB power/charge in slave mode.

#4  rtiangha 10-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Well, if we could figure out how to compile uboot kernels for these things, we could also compile in OTG, keyboard, mice and other driver support too (not to mention the latest kernel bug and security patches, which would be more important to me; it's why I'll never let my device online). I'm surprised that someone hasn't attempted it yet. The only reason I haven't is that I don't have a spare device and I love to read so my Glo HD is precious to me for its primary funcrion.

#5  FrustratedReader 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Some readers don't actually have OTG hardware, only USB slave.
Without a schematic and the CPU details (the USB ports are often part of the CPU SoC), we can't tell. Obviously the Kindle PW3 has OTG USB hardware and some sort of Kernel support.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register