Mobileread
Problem with my Forma
#1  Strether 10-20-2019, 05:39 PM
A book I'm reading has mentioned part of James Joyce's Ulysses frequently and, wanting to read that section, I loaded the complete James Joyce that I have in my library on the Forma. The Forma froze and after restarting, I removed the book via Calibre. The Forma has frozen a number of times so I assumed that it was just this device that was a problem. So I loaded the books to my H2O2, which has never frozen, but it too froze and the file had to be removed. No problem loading the file on my Kindle, but that wasn't where I wanted to read the book.

Is there something I should know about loading a large file on a Kobo device, or is it just this file? I wonder if someone else has successfully loaded these books on their Kobo device.

Jim

#2  PeterT 10-20-2019, 06:27 PM
What format is the book?

#3  Strether 10-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Quote PeterT
What format is the book?
Kobo epub, converted by Calibre just before installing it on the Forma.

Jim

#4  davidfor 10-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Quote Strether
Kobo epub, converted by Calibre just before installing it on the Forma.
There is a known problem large kepubs in firmware version 4.18.13737. It is probably related to the way the full book page count is now done. Kobo are looking at it.

Having said that, the word count I can find for Ulysses is 265k. I needed a book with two or three million words to trigger it. But, I think the way a book is structure is factor as well. Or, there could be errors in the book that trigger it as well. If it is the latter, then checking for errors in the calibre editor, or one of the error checking tools, might show what is the issue.

Other than that, you can try sideloading as an epub. Unless the problem is due to errors, it will probably work.

#5  Strether 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Quote davidfor
There is a known problem large kepubs in firmware version 4.18.13737. It is probably related to the way the full book page count is now done. Kobo are looking at it.

Having said that, the word count I can find for Ulysses is 265k. I needed a book with two or three million words to trigger it. But, I think the way a book is structure is factor as well. Or, there could be errors in the book that trigger it as well. If it is the latter, then checking for errors in the calibre editor, or one of the error checking tools, might show what is the issue.

Other than that, you can try sideloading as an epub. Unless the problem is due to errors, it will probably work.
Thanks, David. The file I downloaded and which froze both readers, was the complete works of Joyce, which is 5.08 MB in size. I’d guess it’s the size that’s bothering the Kobo. I’ve since downloaded just Ulysses from the Mobileread library, which solves this problem, but warns me that if I want to read something else by Joyce, I may have to do it on the Kindle

Jim

#6  MGlitch 10-20-2019, 08:40 PM
For what it’s worth David the Complete Wheel of Time and the collected Malazan ebook both from Kobo and comfortably over the 3 million word count (respectively 4,410,036 and 3,325,000 approximately) have triggered no issues on either my Forma or my original H2O.

Not sure if that’s helpful to finding the underlying issue but it’s two massive ebooks from Kobo which don’t cause problems.

#7  Sirtel 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Quote MGlitch
For what it’s worth David the Complete Wheel of Time and the collected Malazan ebook both from Kobo and comfortably over the 3 million word count (respectively 4,410,036 and 3,325,000 approximately) have triggered no issues on either my Forma or my original H2O.

Not sure if that’s helpful to finding the underlying issue but it’s two massive ebooks from Kobo which don’t cause problems.
I also have the Complete Wheel of Time on my Libra, both in kepub and epub (I prefer to read the epub, but searching is much faster in the kepub, so I'm keeping that for when I want to look something up). The epub is almost 24 MB. No problems.

#8  Strether 10-20-2019, 09:38 PM
It must be the structure of the file. Tried installing an epub version and it also froze my H2O2. Didn't try the Forma, but wouldn't expect different behavior.

Jim

#9  davidfor 10-20-2019, 11:45 PM
Quote Strether
Thanks, David. The file I downloaded and which froze both readers, was the complete works of Joyce, which is 5.08 MB in size. I’d guess it’s the size that’s bothering the Kobo. I’ve since downloaded just Ulysses from the Mobileread library, which solves this problem, but warns me that if I want to read something else by Joyce, I may have to do it on the Kindle
That would almost definitely do it. This sort of books tend to have lots of words and complicated structures.

#10  davidfor 10-20-2019, 11:48 PM
Quote Strether
It must be the structure of the file. Tried installing an epub version and it also froze my H2O2. Didn't try the Forma, but wouldn't expect different behavior.
Did that happen when importing the book? Or opening it the first time? I'd expect the epub to trigger a problem for the former, and the kepub the latter. But, I'd be interested to see the book to see if I can work it out.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register