Mobileread
Help to determine is a book is in public domain
#1  RbnJrg 10-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Hi friends:

Maybe some of you can me help with this "intringulis". I need to know if a book is or not in public domain. The author died in 1935, so according to the rule life+70, the book should be in public domain. But that book also has some illustrations, and the author of the illustrations died in 1960. Book and author (and illustrator) were from USA. Is or not the book in public domain?

Thanks in advance.

#2  SteveEisenberg 10-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Quote RbnJrg
Hi friends:

Maybe some of you can me help with this "intringulis". I need to know if a book is or not in public domain. The author died in 1935, so according to the rule life+70, the book should be in public domain. But that book also has some illustrations, and the author of the illustrations died in 1960. Book and author (and illustrator) were from USA. Is or not the book in public domain?

Thanks in advance.
Is this a question regarding the law of Argentina?

#3  AlexBell 10-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Could it be that the text is in the Public Domain, but the illustrations are not?

#4  Doitsu 10-19-2019, 05:56 AM
Quote RbnJrg
Is or not the book in public domain?
Agentina also has a lifetime of the author, plus 70 law. I.e., the text of the book is in the public domain, but the illustrations aren't.
If you want to upload the book to MR, you'll have to remove the illustrations or replace them with Public Domain illustrations from a different edition.

#5  RbnJrg 10-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Thanks all for your answers!

#6  RbnJrg 10-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Hi friends:

I am really confused; this book in archive.org appears as in public domain (even for commercial purpose!, see the licence):

https://archive.org/details/AlBakersBookTwo

But the author died in 1951, so the rule "life + 70" is not present. Then, how can it be possible that the book is in public domain in USA (is it)?

Thanks in advance.

#7  Doitsu 10-28-2019, 02:11 PM
Quote RbnJrg
But the author died in 1951, so the rule "life + 70" is not present. Then, how can it be possible that the book is in public domain in USA (is it)?
Unlike Project Gutenberg, archive.org doesn't verify the copyright status of uploaded books. As a result, you can find countless copyrighted books there.

Al Baker's books will enter the Public Domain in countries with life + 70 years in 20212022.

Edit: Jellby is right.

#8  Jellby 10-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Quote Doitsu
Al Baker's books will enter the Public Domain in countries with life + 70 years in 2021.
Jan 1st, 2022. It's the year after the 70th anniversary of the author's death.

#9  j.p.s 10-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Quote RbnJrg
Hi friends:

I am really confused; this book in archive.org appears as in public domain (even for commercial purpose!, see the licence):

https://archive.org/details/AlBakersBookTwo

Thanks in advance.
It was written in 1935, so it might be one of those books whose copyright was not renewed.

#10  RbnJrg 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Thanks all for this new answer

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register