Mobileread
Calibre 4.1 suddenly not sending out
#1  celinego 10-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie so hope I'm posting in the right place.

Last night about 9pm (UK time), none of the books (pdocs, mobi format) were received by myself or multiple friends I sent to before without any problem.

Calibre says it's sent. But it's not received. I can still successfully send mobi files from my webmail and my email client ... just not from Calibre.

To further complicate things, Amazon has just introduced a new security step by holding the sent mobi file back and generating an email to the recipient telling them they've had a request to send a file to their device and they have to click on VERIFY within the email for them to send the file on!

They introduced this yesterday evening just as my problems started. I've been on to them today for 7 hours, testing and reporting back. It seems my webmail will send the book file and generate the Amazon mail; my email clint (eMClient) will send the book file and generate the Amazon email.... only Calibre doesn't!!

Calibre says it's sent successfully (including test emails) ... but nothing else happens. If it's any extra info, I'm in the UK using btinternet.com as my internet provider email/webmail ... in case there are any other UK BT users experiencing the same.

I'm stumped. I even downloaded a previous version of Calibre ... but today, it's now also saying it's 4.1 (which is latest?)

Aside from that ... I'm not getting on with the Calibre ebook viewer! Preferred the previous version where I had icons down the left side and could page back and forth one page at a time. Now it's a vertical scroll down?

Really hope someone can help with either problem please.

Thanks for reading .... celineg

#2  JSWolf 10-17-2019, 04:42 PM
What books are you sending to your friends? Are they books in copyright?

#3  celinego 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Thanks for reading.

No, they are not DRM files. Same files I've successfully sent to myself and friends for years .... until yesterday evening. Still says successfully sent. Calibre will open them in the viewer, let me see them, edit the metadata and save them.

When I send, there's no error message re max size exceeded or anything else.

Also, I CAN successfully send via my normal email client and my webmail so it's not the file that's the problem?

Quote JSWolf
What books are you sending to your friends? Are they books in copyright?

#4  celinego 10-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Sorry if this reply appears twice but I couldn't see the first one.

No, the books I'm sending are not DRM'd. Have been sending them successfully for yars to both myself and friends. I can still successfully send them via my email client .. and via my webmail, both of which use my default webmail address. Just calibre not sending.

Also, I haven't changed any of my calibre "sending" details and still all worked perfectly well till yesterday evening when I and a few friends didn't get what I sent. I'm stumped as to what's caused the sudden stop.

#5  celinego 10-17-2019, 05:19 PM
PS ... calibre also not even sending me a Test email. Says it's successfully sent but still not appearing in my webmail or my mail client.

#6  JSWolf 10-17-2019, 06:16 PM
So are you sending eBooks that should not be sent? Meaning eBooks that are under copyright. Are you pirating these eBooks by sending them to your friends?

If it is the case that you are sending eBooks in copyright to your friends, you may not get any help here for your problem. We don't help people with problems related to illegal eBooks.

#7  celinego 10-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Books that I have bought, put into calibre and want to send to my other devices from there (sometimes because my other devices aren't available within the Amazon options to send them to; Books that are free kindle books? books that are out of copyright too.

I'm not pirating anything illegally. That's not the issue. Why Calibre has suddenly stopped being able to email them is, when my webmail and email client still can by me attaching them to the email. Never had a problem before yesterday evening.

Was on chat with Amazon today and got a callback from one of their customer service managers (not a technician). But he could see the PDOC titles I was sending and also didn't understand why they weren't being received. He has now submitted a ticket to their technical team but I daresay they will come back and say as my webmail and email client IS sending them correctly, then Calibre is the issue and it's not their job to help with that. That's why I came here.

Quote JSWolf
So are you sending eBooks that should not be sent? Meaning eBooks that are under copyright. Are you pirating these eBooks by sending them to your friends?

If it is the case that you are sending eBooks in copyright to your friends, you may not get any help here for your problem. We don't help people with problems related to illegal eBooks.

#8  DNSB 10-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Quote celinego
Books that I have bought, put into calibre and want to send to my other devices from there (sometimes because my other devices aren't available within the Amazon options to send them to; Books that are free kindle books? books that are out of copyright too.
Hmmm.... You might want to check the copyright notices in those books you bought. If you have registered your Amazon devices/apps and are under the permissible copies limit, okay. As for free Kindle books? They are copyrighted and yes, in most cases, it is piracy to send a copy to your good buddies -- let them get their own copies. Very few commercial free ebooks are redistributable -- see the Baen Free Library for examples of some that are.

Quote celinego
I'm not pirating anything illegally. That's not the issue. Why Calibre has suddenly stopped being able to email them is, when my webmail and email client still can by me attaching them to the email. Never had a problem before yesterday evening.

Was on chat with Amazon today and got a callback from one of their customer service managers (not a technician). But he could see the PDOC titles I was sending and also didn't understand why they weren't being received. He has now submitted a ticket to their technical team but I daresay they will come back and say as my webmail and email client IS sending them correctly, then Calibre is the issue and it's not their job to help with that. That's why I came here.
For one thing, you have already admitted to piracy -- see the comment on your "free" Kindle books that you admit redistributing. As for calibre, have you tried running calibre in debug mode? Have you tried sending a book to one of your other email accounts from within calibre to see if it arrives? And, just perhaps, using the calibre forum might have been better than a general discussion forum. I do notice that you appear to be saying your books are arriving at Amazon's end since the CSM could see them but they are not being forwarded on to you and your buddies devices.

Back to free Kindle books, the following copyright notice is pretty typical of most ebooks, free or not:

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

#9  celinego 10-18-2019, 06:55 AM
QUOTE=DNSB;3904902]Hmmm.... You might want to check the copyright notices in those books you bought. If you have registered your Amazon devices/apps and are under the permissible copies limit, okay. As for free Kindle books? They are copyrighted and yes, in most cases, it is piracy to send a copy to your good buddies -- let them get their own copies. Very few commercial free ebooks are redistributable -- see the Baen Free Library for examples of some that are.

I didn't say I was sending free kindle books to my good buddies. Why would I go to that trouble when they can easily obtain them for free themselves? Please re-read what I said.

QUOTE For one thing, you have already admitted to piracy -- see the comment on your "free" Kindle books that you admit redistributing. As for calibre, have you tried running calibre in debug mode? Have you tried sending a book to one of your other email accounts from within calibre to see if it arrives? And, just perhaps, using the calibre forum might have been better than a general discussion forum. I do notice that you appear to be saying your books are arriving at Amazon's end since the CSM could see them but they are not being forwarded on to you and your buddies devices".

Sorry, but where have I admitted to piracy? If you re-read what I said, it was that I sending these books to my other devices which weren't available as an option on Amazon. E.g., some books, which I buy or are free, don't give the option to send to my Windows 10 laptop kindle app. So I have to send to my kindle, then import from my kindle onto Calibre on my laptop. So I can then send it to the kindle app on my laptop. How is that piracy when I have legally obtained the book and am simply sending it another of my own registered devices? Yes, I have tried running in debug mode. Yes I have tried sending to another of my email accounts from Calibre and it says it sent but it never actually arrives, to either mine or a friend's device.

The Amazon CSM could see any that I sent via my webmail or my email client (EMClient) but not any of those sent from Calibre (which says it had sent them). Nor did any sent from Calibre appear on the Content section of my Amazon account, meaning they haven't actually arrived in my account, therefore not on any of my devices. I'm also pretty sure if I was abusing copyright or pirating, the Amazon CSM would have noticed that any addressed it with me. We spent hours testing various books being sent to many of the devices registered to my account, from Calibre, my webmail and my email client. The only ones which didn't arrive where those sent via Calibre.

I've also noticed I appeared to have both the 32 and 64 bit version of Calibre and, whilst I know I can have both, I uninstalled the 32 bit and kept the 64. I also downloaded and installed a previous version which still didn't work so went back to 4.1 and have just a few mins ago, updated to 4.2 and have tried sending a book to my own kindle. It said sent, but again, hasn't arrived on my device or in the Content section of my Amazon account.

I'm sorry if I've posted in the general discussion forum instead of the Calibre forum. As I said in the opening line of my op, I'm a newbie. Perhaps an Admin could move this discussion to the Calibre forum for me? (thank you Admin). I've probably also not replied to you or used the quotes function properly for which I again apologise, but I'm just not used to this forum yet. And if I haven't properly tagged Admin, perhaps you could do so or tell me how too?

QUOTE Back to free Kindle books, the following copyright notice is pretty typical of most ebooks, free or not:
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

Again, free kindle books which I get for myself and store in Calibre and if necessary, send to another of my own registered devices.

With regards to books I send to good buddies, these are out of copyright, such as ye olde English classics which I'm reading with my book group, in which case, I will obtain the book (legally) and send it to group members/friends so we all have the exact same edition to read and can highlight particular parts on particular pages.

By the way, I’m a librarian and familiar with what a copyright notice looks like. I also appreciate the value of books and authors and count many of them amongst my friends and would not disrespect any of them by pirating commercial books. So can I please make this clear – I am NOT pirating.

Even if we take books completely out of this problem, even the Calibre Test Email isn’t being received in my webmail or email client. Calibre still says email successfully sent, but nothing arrives. When I've changed SMTP port (only 2 allowed for my provider, 25 and 587) still says sent but doesn't arrive. When I change the encryption from None to either TLS or SSL, the email doesn't send. So either 25/587 combined with no encryption are what my settings have always been and worked until Wednesday evening. I don’t understand what has caused this to suddenly not.

I apologise for the lengthy explanation but feel like I'm having to justify and defend myself against piracy accusations which are unfounded. I only came to ask for help with why my Calibre sending has suddenly stopped working.

#10  theducks 10-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Leaving the book out of this

The issue appears to be:
Calibre thinks the mail was sent.
AND
The mail went somewhere else (wrong destination or Users PC SPAM trap: Outgoing or Incoming)
Or
The mail was trapped by the destinations ISP (on line SPAM trap)
Check all logs.
Your PC A/V should have an activity log (in case it trapped suspected malware originated mail)
Your ISP should have a Graymail log

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register