Mobileread
Is it possible to have multiple versions of Sigil installed (Windows)?
#1  parvatiquinta 10-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Apologies if this question has been asked already, I cannot seem to find an answer.

I am currently using Sigil 0.9.14 and would like to try the new 0.9.18, but I'm unsure if I can live without the old "book view", and so I'd rather not replace my current installation.

So I wonder if it's possible to have the installer for Windows x64 setting up the new version alongside the old one (and how to do so), rather than replacing it.
Or is the portable app the only way to achieve this?

#2  DiapDealer 10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
You can use the installer to install Sigil to any location you like. However, all installed versions will use the same preference files (*.ini) and thus the same preferences. Having multiple instances of Sigil open that are reading and writing to the same preference files can lead to unintended consequences--even with the same versions of Sigil. Never mind when using two different versions at the same time

We have, however, made it possible to define a different location for Sigil's preferences folder by setting an environment variable (SIGIL_PREFS_DIR) to point to a different user writable path to use for a preferences folder.

So you could run one version of Sigil normally and then create a batch (or .cmd) file that sets the SIGIL_PREFS_DIR variable before launching Sigil. That way you could have two completely independent versions of Sigil running on Windows. Each complete with their own preferences, plugins, appearance, etc...

The last Sigil installed will always be the one that launches from the Desktop shortcut, so you might have to create your own shortcut to the one you want.

Or if you want to try the new version of Sigil, you can also back up your current preferences folder somewhere and just install the new version. If you ever want to go back, just uninstall Sigil, reinstall the older version and restore your preferences backup and be right back where you started.

#3  DiapDealer 10-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Here's a sample batch file to get someone started. Just remember that you'd always have to start the alternate installation by running/clicking the batch file. If you double-click an epub, or right-click on one and use Open-with Sigil, the environment variable won't be set.

You'd have to launch Sigil with the batch file and then use File->Open.

You can even create a shortcut to the batch file, change the icon to the white Sigil icon in Sigil's "Misc" folder (or whatever icon you want) and name it anything you like.
[bat] launch_alt_sigil.bat (255 Bytes, 18 views)

#4  BetterRed 10-16-2019, 06:43 PM
If you have Windows 10 Pro version 1903 you should be able to install Sigil 0.9.18 in its Sandbox, see How to Safely Run Software With Windows 10 Sandbox

Caveat: I haven't tried installing Sigil in the Sandbox.

BR

#5  parvatiquinta 10-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your replies! Sadly my version of Windows is Home, not Pro.

It looks like the portable app might still be the simplest solution for me to try out a version that I'm not sure I want to keep. Version 18 is not available yet, but then again, I'm not in a terrible hurry.

#6  BetterRed 10-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Quote parvatiquinta

It looks like the portable app might still be the simplest solution for me to try out a version that I'm not sure I want to keep. Version 18 is not available yet, but then again, I'm not in a terrible hurry.
Another suggestion to get a feel for Page Edit

Install the Folder Out and Folder In plugins in the Sigil version you have.

Download and unpack PageEdit somewhere (it's a self extracting exe)

Open an epub in Sigil and then use the Folder Out plugin to unpack the epub to an empty folder. Open that folder In Windows File Explorer, go into the OEBPS subfolder, then use Windows Open With on the opf file, use the Choose another app option to get PageEdit into the list of programs.

show attachment »

If you wanted to save your PageEdit in an epub, you'd close Page Edit and use the Folder In plugin to pack the folder into a new epub.

The difference with the latest Sigil is that you would press a button rather than Folder Out, Windows Open With->PageEdit, and Folder In.

@DiapDealer - that gave me a chance to use your Folder Out/Page Edit/Folder In suggestion - works fine.

BR

#7  exaltedwombat 10-18-2019, 04:00 PM
PageEdit essentially IS Book View. I think earlier editions of Sigil supported external editors. Why not install it as such in your Sigil 0.9.14 and give it a try? Book View will still be there.

#8  parvatiquinta 10-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Thanks again for the new suggestions.
The main problem that I have is that I am mainly using Sigil as an ebook reader as well as editor. The reason I'm doing this is I'm using epub as a format for my role-playing games. So code view is all well and good for when I'm preparing for a session, but when I'm at the table I need the book view to get a nice, readable, formatted text while Sigil keeps my TOC handy so I can jump between sections like a rock star - and I can still edit on the fly. Any loss of immediacy, and the convenience of using Sigil disappears.

I'm just writing this to clarify where I'm coming from. This is not a "whine against the new development direction" kind of thread.

I seriously doubt that the new version is suited to my very niche needs, but I could always be wrong so I will wait until the portable app is updated and give it a go that way.

#9  theducks 10-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Quote parvatiquinta

You can Purchase a new License Key from M$ to upgrade to Pro. AFAIK that is all you need to do.

#10  parvatiquinta 10-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Sorry for the double post, I did not realize there was moderation delay on my first answer. (the popup was too quick to read) I don't see an edit button, but one of the two can be removed.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register