Mobileread
Replace Kindle Voyage - Kobo or Inkpad 3?
#1  nola2london 10-16-2019, 05:12 AM
Hi, I am new to this site and I am looking to replace my Kindle Voyage which is starting to die.

First off I am trying to leave the Amazon world (so no new kindle) and most of my reading is from the library. I mainly read novels (fiction) with some graphic novels (which is not easy on my kindle device). I read during the day and night and I am not so technically inclined. So I will probably not do a lot of tweaking or personalising my e-reader. I live in Europe and borrow books from both a US library and my Luxembourg library.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Kobo Libra H20 and either the Inkbook 3 or Inkbook 3 pro. I am not so bothered by price I just want a good device.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated !

#2  rcentros 10-16-2019, 09:13 AM
You might want to look at the new Tolinos as well. They've just updated their whole line with the same hardware as Kobo uses (except the Shine 3 was already a Kobo Clara clone).

https://mytolino.com/

EDIT: Meant to mention, Tolinos work well borrowing from libraries, especially in Europe.

#3  JSWolf 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Quote rcentros
You might want to look at the new Tolinos as well. They've just updated their whole line with the same hardware as Kobo uses (except the Shine 3 was already a Kobo Clara clone).

https://mytolino.com/
My question is, is the firmware better then Kobo or is Kobo better then Tolinos?

The only thing I know is that with Kobo, you can get very good support for here on MR.

#4  rcentros 10-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Quote nola2london
Right now I am trying to decide between the Kobo Libra H20 and either the Inkbook 3 or Inkbook 3 pro. I am not so bothered by price I just want a good device.
I know it was a typo, but be aware that there are Inkbook eReaders (though there's not the model 3 or 3 pro).

#5  rcentros 10-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Quote JSWolf
My question is, is the firmware better then Kobo or is Kobo better then Tolinos?

The only thing I know is that with Kobo, you can get very good support for here on MR.
I like Tolinos a lot (as you know) but you're right about the Kobo's support on MR.

#6  nola2london 10-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Quote rcentros
I know it was a typo, but be aware that there are Inkbook eReaders (though there's not the model 3 or 3 pro).
Thank you, I did not think of that. I will look at the Tolinos as I do not know much about them.

#7  rcentros 10-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Quote nola2london
Thank you, I did not think of that. I will look at the Tolinos as I do not know much about them.
The Kobos do have more features (and better support here on MR). And since the hardware is the same now, firmware may be your deciding factor. (I kind of like the simplicity of the Tolino firmware, but I'm in the minority here.)

#8  GERGE 10-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Tolino readers are Kobo clones but I think they have worse firmwares. You should go for Libra.

#9  rcentros 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Quote GERGE
Tolino readers are Kobo clones but I think they have worse firmwares. You should go for Libra.
I think the PocketBooks are pretty good readers also (just going by reviews). I think all three of these (Kobo, Tolino and PocketBook are made by Netronix). I like the fact that Tolinos have Adobe DRM built right into them, so you download books directly from libraries and book stores (even the Kobo bookstore). Since I use Linux and don't want to run Wine, this is how I get my Adobe DRM protected ePubs. No computer necessary.

#10  davidfor 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Quote JSWolf
Both have pluses and minuses. Based on my epos, tolino supports landscape for reading, has had pages left in the chapter for a while, shows page number in the ToC, the epub rendering is good. But, reading adjustments are closer to a Kindle, it doesn't show any metadata beyond the author and title, collections are folder based, only author and title sorting, no series info.

Overall, it is good and works well. But, it feels more basic. Sort of Windows 3.1 vs Window 95. The epos is an excellent device, but, I found the Aura ONE worked better for me overall.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register