Mobileread
Clarifying the Kobo Clara/Aura options
#1  doreenjoy 10-14-2019, 06:46 PM
I've been using a Sony T2 for years, but am looking for a new toy with front lighting. I'm open to a Kindle Paperwhite 4, but I think I'd prefer the ability to color shift the front lighting.

I've been poking around the Kobo options, and am having trouble deciding betweeen the Clara HD, the Aura, and the special Walmart edition Aura (cheapest option).

Can anyone help me clarify what the differences are between the Clara HD and the Aura, other than a few dpi? And what's different about the Walmart edition?

And...would I be better off sticking with my Sony?

#2  rcentros 10-14-2019, 07:20 PM
Quote doreenjoy
I've been using a Sony T2 for years...
I like the T2, just finished reading another book on it the other day.

Quote doreenjoy
Can anyone help me clarify what the differences are between the Clara HD and the Aura, other than a few dpi? And what's different about the Walmart edition?
I think, basically, the difference between the Clara and Aura is screen lighting and dpi. The Clara also has 8 GBs of memory (instead of 4GB) and weighs slightly less than the Aura (166 grams instead of 180). Nothing different about the Walmart edition of the Aura, except it's cheaper.

Quote doreenjoy
And...would I be better off sticking with my Sony?
Only ONE reader?!

#3  John F 10-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Quote rcentros

I think, basically, the difference between the Clara and Aura is screen lighting and dpi. ...
And just to clarify, the Aura doesn't have the ability to color shift.

#4  ZodWallop 10-15-2019, 11:46 PM
Grab a Kobo. Front lighting and a newer, higher DPI screen will be an improvement over the Sony.

rcentros and John pointed out the difference between the Aura and the Clara. For the price difference, I'd recommend the Clara. The orange light at night is nice as is the HD screen.

#5  Barbara1955 10-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Aura 2nd Ed..... 212ppi Front Light but No Color 4 gig storage or about 3000 ebooks Clara....300ppi Front lights that you can adjust white to Blue to Orange 8 gig storage or about 6000 ebooks More If you want to change SdCard [mine has 32 gig inside]

#6  doreenjoy 10-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Thank you all so much for your input. Sounds like the Clara HD will be an improvement over the Sony T2. I will definitely hang on to the t2 and I'm sure it'll get some use. I don't like traveling with my nicer stuff so I may still bring the t2 with me if I travel

#7  doreenjoy 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Will see if there's a black Friday deal at Walmart since I'm not in a hurry.

#8  doreenjoy 10-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Quote rcentros
Only ONE reader?!
Yeah, I'm a bit of a minimalist.

#9  rcentros 10-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Quote doreenjoy
Yeah, I'm a bit of a minimalist.
No, you have some common sense. Unlike me.

#10  Sirtel 10-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Quote rcentros
No, you have some common sense. Unlike me.
Unlike many here...

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register