Mobileread
Dad's PC issue - Books Lost
#1  O.K-ing 10-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Hello from Croatia.

So, my father recently formatted his PC and installed a new Windows, drivers and everything...the PC was almost non possible to use due of years and years of non maintenance.

Now is everything OK. I restored all the backup data, applications and other stuff.

At the end he asked me where are my books, articles and documents. More then 1000 he say...

Never heard about the Calibre app before. Didn't know anything about till now ... for what is used and how it works.

Can you help me how to restore the link to his library?

My father and his friend who formatted the PC didn't find and folder with the books on the C: disc so they proceeded with the formatting thinking that Calibre is just an viewer APP connected to some server on the internet for uploaded books.
How can i restore the old database? Must be some way...

Thanks in advance !

#2  kovidgoyal 10-14-2019, 10:36 AM
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#the-list-of-books-in-calibre-is-blank

#3  O.K-ing 10-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#the-list-of-books-in-calibre-is-blank
"Your metadata.db file was deleted/corrupted. In this case, you can ask calibre to rebuild the metadata.db from its backups. Right click the calibre icon in the calibre toolbar and select Library maintenance->Restore database. calibre will automatically rebuild metadata.db"

Cannot restore what is no longer on the PC disc.
Need some other way to re-access to Dad's uploaded library

#4  pdurrant 10-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Quote O.K-ing
Cannot restore what is no longer on the PC disc.

Need some other way to re-access to Dad's uploaded library

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and data loss.
Guess which has occurred.

calibre is a cross-platform database for storing ebooks, managing their metadata, converting to different formats, viewing ebooks, and transferring them to reading devices.

The books and the database will have been stored locally.

#5  O.K-ing 10-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Quote pdurrant
Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and data loss.
Guess which has occurred.
So no way to restore the library ?
Even for developers or database "holder" ?

#6  pdurrant 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Quote O.K-ing
So no way to restore the library ?
Even for developers or database "holder" ?
Restoring it would be simple if there was a copy of the data somewhere. It very much sounds like there isn't.

#7  O.K-ing 10-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Quote pdurrant
Restoring it would be simple if there was a copy of the data somewhere. It very much sounds like there isn't.
Unfortunately no

So officially no way to solve the problem?

#8  pdurrant 10-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Quote O.K-ing
So officially no way to solve the problem?
I'm nothing to do with calibre officially. Just another user.

If your father has an ebook reader, he may be able to recover some of his books from the device.

If the books were bought from Amazon, or other on-line book store that's still going, he should be able to re-download them. This may not be possible for books that were special offer freebies from places like Tor.com.

If the hard disk was quick erased instead of completely reformatted, if might be possible to use disk recovery software to retrieve some books from the 'empty' portions of the hard disk. This is complex and unlikely to be very successful.

#9  O.K-ing 10-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Quote pdurrant
I'm nothing to do with calibre officially. Just another user.

If your father has an ebook reader, he may be able to recover some of his books from the device.

If the books were bought from Amazon, or other on-line book store that's still going, he should be able to re-download them. This may not be possible for books that were special offer freebies from places like Tor.com.

If the hard disk was quick erased instead of completely reformatted, if might be possible to use disk recovery software to retrieve some books from the 'empty' portions of the hard disk. This is complex and unlikely to be very successful.
Thanks for your held anyway.
Who is "official" member of Calibre? I'll try to ask in any case ...

#10  pdurrant 10-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Kovid Goyal is the author. You've already had his input.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register