Mobileread
Grrr! Bring back book view!!!
#1  WillowRaven 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly ... not give us more steps to get to where we already were. Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.

I'll upgrade when book view is brought back.

#2  JustinThought 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Quote WillowRaven
Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly ... not give us more steps to get to where we already were. Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.

I had kinda hoped the same thing, but once I accepted the fact that it wasn't and would never be, I'm a much happier man.

Like you, I'm now stuck in the past (0.9.9), and since it does everything I need it to do, that's where I'm staying--for now.

#3  Turtle91 10-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Wow another first-time-poster going through all the trouble to sign up just to complain.

#4  Vroni 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Quote WillowRaven
What a loss to the world if you don't update. Kevin and Diap are probably already trembling with this threat and will certainly be working on it.

#5  KevinH 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Someone could always fork the Sigil webkit branch and add in any crucial fixes, but that someone would not be me. That said, I would be happy to accept reasonable pull requests targeted to the webkit branch but I will not be building or testing them. So a new maintainer for that branch would have to step forward and volunteer.

#6  DiapDealer 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Quote WillowRaven
Luckily, I had my old installer file and could go back to why I like Sigil to begin with.
No luck required. All of the installers for all the past releases are still available for download anytime anyone wants them.

Quote WillowRaven
Sounds good. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath, though.

#7  un_pogaz 10-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Instal and use PageEdit:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3889662

PageEdit is an alternative tool created for the occasion. Also PageEdit is much better, in many ways, than BookView has ever been.

Read ALL in this thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3900509

The debate was heated, but all the reasons for the how, the why, the arguments for and against, were stated.
TLDR:
BookView is gone. PageEdit will not be integrated into Sigil.

Quote WillowRaven
Software updates/upgrades are supposed to make software MORE user-friendly...
Updates/upgrades does not only affect users, but also, and especially, developers. And technically, it's an improvement. BookView was a thousand ton ball ans chain that the developers have been dragging for too long.

EDIT:
I understand that the subject bristles the hair of many people's (especially from a new account created for the occasion). But please, be less... acidic.
[PERSONAL_OPINION=OFF]

#8  vijer 10-20-2019, 04:13 AM
It is mildly tedious to open the file in an external editor if you like to alternate between code view and page view.

Ah well, we can't bitch too much when it's free.

#9  DiapDealer 10-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Quote vijer
It is mildly tedious to open the file in an external editor if you like to alternate between code view and page view.
You don't have to alternate between code view and page view if you leave preview visible. You only need to install PageEdit if you want edit in wysiwyg mode (and a few other special cases).

#10  KevinH 10-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Then make all the xhtml files available to PageEdit at the same time by opening the content.opf in Sigil and invoking the External Xhtml Editor button (assuming you have set PageEdit as your oreferred external xhtml editor in Sigil prefs). Then use PageEdit, and do what you want visually editing across the entire book and then once saved on exit, cleanup what you need to in CodeView.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register