Mobileread
Max 3 Rooted
#1  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM
**I am not responsible for any damage to your device, and I am sure this probably voids your warranty**

Hello everyone,

I am hoping the potential of the Max 3 can be unlocked with the help of you guys, the community. To start it off, I found a way to obtain root on the Max 3. Hopefully, others can now help develop further.

The root method uses Magisk. You can read about it here under "Knowing Your Device": https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html

Our device uses "system as root" and is a NON-A/B partitioned device.

I may or may not provide support, I am pretty busy so I don't have much time. Only proceed if you are okay with this.

Steps to install:
1) Update your firmware to version 2.2.2 (latest version as of 4/1/20)
2) Download the magisk_patched_recovery image from the link below
3) make sure you have "adb" and "fastboot" installed on your computer, use google if you don't know
4) enable usb debugging on your device, plug it into your computer, and run "adb reboot bootloader" from the command line
4) ensure your bootloader is unlocked "fastboot flashing unlock"
5) boot into magisk "fastboot boot magisk_patched_recovery_*.img"
6) install magiskmanager apk , use google to find it, open it and it should say that magisk is up to date
7) Next to "Magisk is up to date", click "Install" to install magisk permanently using the direct install method
8) From the homescreen, go to settings > power , and set Power off Timeout to "Never"

Patched recovery and newer firmwares will be uploaded here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=307038

Taking OTA's:
1) open magisk manager and select "uninstall" "restore images"
2) take the OTA from onyx and allow device to reboot
3) reboot to bootloader
4) repeat steps 5-7 from installation above

Going back to stock:
Open magisk manager and select "uninstall" "complete uninstall"

Other notes:
The first 3 pages of this thread are irrelevant to the current state of our device. The latest onyx firmware allows us to pretty easily recover from any issues we have where a bootloop might occur, and the latest magic version boots our boot.img instead of recovery.img which helps make things simpler

If you ever have to get to recovery mode, turn your device completely off (make sure your not plugged in to charger), then hold the home button, then while holding the home button plug your device into charger... wait until you see splash screen and release home button

The following magisk modules I deem *somewhat* dangerous:

Foxy Boot - this module replaces the boot animation with boot logs. it isnt dangerous by default, but changing the module's settings to display logs other than the ones its set to by default caused my device to not be able to boot. I actually recommend installing this module anyway, because it allows you to see that you are booting into rooted mode during the boot process since you will see the boot animation

I will keep this list updated from user reports and my own experiences

#2  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 07:11 AM
update latest Magisk: https://anonfiles.com/l703G962ne/magisk_patched_img

#3  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Found a fix that now you can have all your apps in split screen!

use the magisk module "QuickSwitch", power off, boot back into rooted system (with fastboot command), download and install the launcher "pixel launcher", dont switch to it yet, open the QuckSwitch App, set the provider to Pixel Launher. do the reboot procedure again... now set your launcher to Pixel launcher and youre all set!

enjoy your desktop-like experience!

#4  newnu 09-25-2019, 02:58 PM
In an ideal world, I'd like to install pure unadulterated Android 9 or even Android 10 on the Max 3. And have support for monitor mode, which I assume requires an app as well as a driver for the HDMI input chip.

#5  whopper 09-25-2019, 04:09 PM
uhmm I need to try that multi window mode in max 2, maybe trying to migrate from supersu to magisk

#6  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 05:32 PM
Quote whopper
uhmm I need to try that multi window mode in max 2, maybe trying to migrate from supersu to magisk
sorry, but it requires android pie

#7  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Quote newnu
In an ideal world, I'd like to install pure unadulterated Android 9 or even Android 10 on the Max 3. And have support for monitor mode, which I assume requires an app as well as a driver for the HDMI input chip.
yes, I agree, I was fooled by the marketing scheme saying there was android pie, because this is too crippled to be called that. I would have returned it if I didnt find root. Nice piece of hardware, not sure why they are trying so hard to stop us from enjoying it!

#8  newnu 09-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Quote diabl0w
yes, I agree, I was fooled by the marketing scheme saying there was android pie, because this is too crippled to be called that.
Just curious have you ever tried to cross compile the AOSP source code? I downloaded it a while back but I didn't have the time to look into building it.

#9  diabl0w 09-25-2019, 09:29 PM
Quote newnu
Just curious have you ever tried to cross compile the AOSP source code? I downloaded it a while back but I didn't have the time to look into building it.
Do you have a copy of the Max3 source code? If not, thats next to impossible from what I understand.

Youre best bet is pulling the system.img and reverse engineering the system files and the apk's with apktool. Then you can flash the new system.img

Keep in mind im not really a developer or programmer, I just like to tinker with my devices

#10  newnu 09-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Quote diabl0w
Do you have a copy of the Max3 source code?
They have a bunch of code on Github: https://github.com/onyx-intl
but a lot of it is pretty old and I don't see anything that pertains to the Max3.

Yes I've done a lot of programming but Android is new to me. I've only written C++ code for Android so far.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register