Mobileread
Touch Glowlight 3 -- disable double-press chapter skipping?
#1  pnppl 09-11-2019, 03:35 PM
So these new Nooks have this behavior where two quick sequential button presses causes the stock reader to jump forward/back a chapter rather than a page. It drives me crazy but I otherwise like the stock experience. Anyone know how to disable this? Do I just have to root the thing and install FBReader?

#2  pnppl 09-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Update: installing a custom reader isn't a solution, as it turns out. Cool Reader, FBReader, and KOReader don't recognize the keycodes. Guess I would have to edit and compile them to get them to work.

#3  cgsmom 09-13-2019, 07:29 AM
I know this sounds silly, but maybe you could stop pressing twice?

#4  pnppl 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Quote cgsmom
I know this sounds silly, but maybe you could stop pressing twice?
Haha, well, that's my only option right now. B&N said the same thing when I asked them. It's still quite annoying though, especially since I tend to jump back and forth a lot when I read. Maybe I'll try my coding chops.

#5  hank 09-15-2019, 03:28 PM
> maybe you could stop pressing twice?

I think the key buttons bounce. I'd been wondering why the heck my Nook had this leap-forward behavior so often. I've almost given up on the hardware buttons, just paging forward by touching the screen.

#6  Joydeck 10-19-2019, 05:14 AM
Quote pnppl
Update: installing a custom reader isn't a solution, as it turns out. Cool Reader, FBReader, and KOReader don't recognize the keycodes. Guess I would have to edit and compile them to get them to work.
I've been using CoolReader for years. Long ago, I disabled the 10-page skip for the Nook's bottom left/right keys in CoolReader Settings.

#7  pnppl 10-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Quote Joydeck
I've been using CoolReader for years. Long ago, I disabled the 10-page skip for the Nook's bottom left/right keys in CoolReader Settings.
Oh hey, really? Which version are you using? I tried the one on F-Droid which seems to be the last libre release.

#8  Joydeck 10-26-2019, 08:07 AM
Quote pnppl
Oh hey, really? Which version are you using? I tried the one on F-Droid which seems to be the last libre release.
My rooted NST has long used Cool_Reader_v3.0.55.46.apk. In Cool Reader, Options|Key actions and Options|Tap zone actions can be set to eliminate the 10 pages skip.

I find Cool Reader excellent and my old NST even more so, thanks to Aard dictionaries and encyclopedias and a 32 GB SD card.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register