Mobileread
Need sleuth-hounds help for death-dates
#1  GrannyGrump 09-03-2019, 01:04 AM
I have several books I want to upload, but need to check for copyright status.

First, author "Maggie Browne", pseudonym of Margaret Hamer Andrewes. She has two illustrated by Arthur Rackham that I want to upload.

She apparently started publishing circa 1884. Her last listed book is reported as 1910, but the Rackham illustrations are annotated 1900/1901, so I think there may have been a delay in publication.

Even the wonderful site "General Catalog of Old Books and Authors" has no biography dates for her:
http://www.authorandbookinfo.com/ngcoba/ha2.htm

-------
Then, some artists who illustrated for John Kendrick Bangs ---
J. T. Richards and "G W A" --- "Half-hours with Jimmieboy"
https://archive.org/details/halfhourswithjim00bangrich/page/n8
and "F B S" --- "Mantel-Piece Minstrels"
https://archive.org/details/mantelpiecemins00banggoog/page/n6
-------

If anyone can provide information about any of these folks, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for ANY help.

#2  GrannyGrump 09-05-2019, 11:34 PM
Well, I do believe I will have to go with the "anonymous/pseudonymous" published more than 70 years ago, and push ahead.

I am shocked that the Andrewes lady could have printed so many titles, and there is no data for her anywhere.

Ta!

#3  elibrarian 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Quote GrannyGrump
I have several books I want to upload, but need to check for copyright status.
-------
and "F B S" --- "Mantel-Piece Minstrels"
https://archive.org/details/mantelpiecemins00banggoog/page/n6
-------

If anyone can provide information about any of these folks, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for ANY help.
F. B. S. is probably Francis Berkeley Smith (1868-1931), according to this:

https://www.williamreesecompany.com/pages/books/WRCLIT82302/john-kendrick-bangs/the-mantel-piece-minstrels-and-other-stories

though I can't find any other art by him to compare.

The other two I can't solve :0(

Regards,

Kim

#4  GrannyGrump 09-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Hey, Kim --- thank you!

I did browse through some of the vintage book sellers, but never got lucky.
I am ready to trade in my search skills for a cheap balloon, and then break the balloon.
I am obviously doing something wrong.

#5  elibrarian 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Quote GrannyGrump
I am obviously doing something wrong.
Not necessarily, but here are some of my "secrets"

I usually start with a very precise searchphrase, and then broaden it. Then, if/when I hit something useful, I narrow it again from there - or just go through the first couple of pages.

Also, Google yield somewhat different results depending on location - e.g. I get different results from google.com and google.dk.

When it's about books and authors, searching in Google Books can get you something which the ordinary Google-search doesn't find.

And finally, I get different search-results from "pretending" I am a US-citizen (using a VPN) instead of my ordinary nationality.

It's strange, but I think it has something to do with Google's algoritms trying to predict what I'm looking for (which sometimes is a bl...y nuisance!)

Besides Google, some of the genealogy search sites like FamilySearch and MyHeritage can sometimes yield a clue or two.

For the rest, it's mostly what the Germans call "fingerspitz-gef├╝hl"

Regards,

Kim

#6  j.p.s 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Do a search on "filter bubble"

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/06/study-google-puts-logged-out-users-in-a-filter-bubble-too/

is interesting.

#7  GrannyGrump 09-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Hi guys --- thank you very much for the tips.

Maybe I will be able to refine my skills.
I do indeed think that some of my problem is location --- I get lots of hits on Japanese sites, even though I specify using English version of Google. I use DuckDuckGo a lot, but that doesn't seem to give very different results.

Anyway, I will keep chewing away at it, and see if I can improve.

#8  BobC 10-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Your Maggie Brown is difficult - the form of her name Margaret (Hamer) Andrewes is more American than U.K and would indicate that she was born Margaret Hamer and married a Mr Andrewes. That though may not indicate a U.S origin.

Working on the idea that her first book was published ~1884 I estimated that she would have been born sometime before 1864. So I checked for British births prior to that date. One thing became clear - the Hamer name seemed to be very much a Lancashire thing. That would be lucky as Lancashire probably has one of the most extensive online set of BMD records. Most Margaret Hamers born around this time had a second name and there was nothing to show which was really of interest.

Looking at possible marriages of a Margaret Hamer to an Andrews I came up a 1896 marriage between a Margaret Hamer and either a Walter Isaac Vincent or a Herbert Edward Andrewes. The amiguity in the marraige partner is due to the algorithm used to match possible partners - there will be four with the same reference, two male and two female.

So I then did a forward check in the censuses for Herbert Edward Andrewes and in 1911 he is shown living in Highgate, London, a stockbroker. His wife is Margaret Andrewes born around 1865 in Leeds.

I confirmed that with the 1901 census - in that one the second "e" was missing from the Andrewes name.

Armed with Margaret's age/Date of Birth) and Place of Birth I was able to locate her pre-marriage in 1891. At that point she was living with her parents at St Pancras - John Hamer, a publisher from Yorkshire and his wife Sarah S Hamer, an Authoress from Yorkshire. Margaret is described as an Authoress so we are clearly onto the right person.

Now to her death - armed with her date of birth a check on Margaret Andrewes, born ~1865 and died in the London area returned only one possible : Margaret Andrewes born 1865 died Jan/Feb/Mar 1937 at Edmonton Middlesex.

I'm confident that here we have the death of your Maggie Brown.

She seems to have come from a successful family - she had one brother who was a Physician with a degree from Cambridge and another who was an Editor. In 1891 the family had two domestic servants.

I Hope this gives you the evidence you need for her date of death.

BobC

P.S. Look at the Wikipedia entry for Sarah Sharp Hamer who wrote as Phyllis Browne

#9  FizzyWater 10-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Wowzer, BobC, that was some mighty sleuthing!

#10  GrannyGrump 10-08-2019, 04:47 AM
@BobC -- I am stunned. boggled! Flabbergasted!!!
I can't believe the labyrinth you traveled to find that information.

Thank you so much,
Have you ever considered doing this sort of thing as a paid service? You clearly have a talent!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register