Mobileread
Barking and Other Grievous Offenses
#1  Dr. Drib 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM
I've always been leery of writers who describe someone who is talking as 'barking':

"Well, men," he barked. "Time to fill up the doggy bowl!"

------

I also am very leery about authors who have a character regurgitate an organ and then fail to have that character die or continue on without any kind of 'Yuck' factor. Can you say "911"? Or 'Colgate'?

He loved her so much that his heart was in his throat, which incidentally was the cause of his demise.

#2  Deskisamess 08-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Read a book review recently by a reader who complained of the author using the word "ejaculate" to describe someone talking.

"Why did you burn the cake?" he ejaculated!

#3  lumpynose 08-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Remember the game show host Bob Barker? Some family names came from what someone's job was and I'm guessing that a barker was someone who "barked" in front of a store, or a tent at a circus. I have a vague memory of someone at a circus being called a barker.

I've only seen ejaculate used in old books I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg. It did make me frown.

#4  skb 08-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Quote Deskisamess
Read a book review recently by a reader who complained of the author using the word "ejaculate" to describe someone talking.

"Why did you burn the cake?" he ejaculated!
I think Doctor Watson did quite a bit of that when talking to Holmes in the original novels.

#5  gmw 08-28-2019, 05:23 AM
Quote skb
I think Doctor Watson did quite a bit of that when talking to Holmes in the original novels.
Whatever they chose to do in the privacy of their own apartment is between them and Mrs Hudson.

#6  lumpynose 08-28-2019, 12:58 PM
To be honest using bark doesn't bother me at all and I've used it when anthropomorphizing the computer saying things like the compiler barked at me, or it complained.

I wonder if there's any correlation with not liking it and not being a dog person?

#7  Dr. Drib 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Quote lumpynose
To be honest using bark doesn't bother me at all and I've used it when anthropomorphizing the computer saying things like the compiler barked at me, or it complained.

I wonder if there's any correlation with not liking it and not being a dog person?

Uh-Oh! I guess I better sell "SeƱor Poops-A-Lot," my Pug.

(His real name is Fox.)

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register