Mobileread
Seeking IOS app for epub, pdf, mobi, cbr/cbz
#1  Elfwreck 08-24-2019, 02:00 AM
I've recently gotten an iPad and am just starting to use it for ebooks. I'm looking for a good app so I don't have to keep switching between different ones.

I have swarms of ebooks on my hard drive. The easiest way to get them onto my iPad is Dropbox, and it seems many readers are supposed to connect with that, but it's not always clear how that works.

I tried Marvin and then ebookmobi, and removed them as they didn't have the features I wanted. I had forgotten that Marvin is epub only; epubmobi says it supports all four filetypes but I couldn't get it to connect with Dropbox's offline files.

I'm looking for an app that will read non-DRM'd epub, mobi, PDF, and comic (cbr/cbz) formats. Reading HTML, txt, or rtf/doc would be a nice bonus, but not necessary. I went looking for app suggestions, and found that "TOP 10 EREADER APP" articles always include Kindle and iBooks and Google Play, and... no, the idea is to have a single app that will read all the books I want to read.

I'm hoping to find the ereader device features I care about:Although at this point, I may settle for "opens the filetypes and doesn't mangle the epub or mobi formatting."

(I am very aware that pdf is a terrible ebook format. But I get a lot of free PDF ebooks, and archive.org has magazine/pulp issues as PDFs.)

#2  meeera 08-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Quote Elfwreck
I've recently gotten an iPad and am just starting to use it for ebooks. I'm looking for a good app so I don't have to keep switching between different ones.
I'm sorry, I don't know of any. In the past I've found that Swiss Army apps often do each task badly, so I haven't gone out of my way to look for one. (FWIW I use Comic Zeal for cb*, GoodReader for PDF, and my Kobo for epubs.)

#3  Elfwreck 08-24-2019, 04:35 AM
If I can't find a single app, I'm willing to work with a set of them. Does Goodreader remember where you left off in a PDF if you switch to a different one?

#4  meeera 08-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Quote Elfwreck
If I can't find a single app, I'm willing to work with a set of them. Does Goodreader remember where you left off in a PDF if you switch to a different one?
Yes, there is a bookmark feature. And you can have multiple PDFs open in tabs and quick-switch between them.

https://goodreader.com/gr-man-view-pdf.html#bookmarks

#5  Elfwreck 08-24-2019, 05:54 AM
I don't mean bookmarks - I don't want to have to make a bookmark every time I stop reading.

The apps I've been using - Dropbox's native viewer and Acrobat Reader - will both open to the same page I left off, most of the time, but sometimes I'll open them and it'll be back at the beginning of the book. There is no internal memory of where I left off like ereader devices have.

...Ideally, I want an app that did what the Pocket EZReader did. Even without all of that, I want an app or apps where I can switch between books, close the app (...or have the device shut off from lack of battery), and open it later and find where I was in each book.

#6  MicroDrie 08-24-2019, 10:00 AM
Elfwreck try the free GitDen E-book reader. I use it on my Android devices to read and test EPUB’s and via an also free add-on PDF files. The Android version restart were you left, it shows the last read Epubs, Bookmarks, figures included in the document. There must be also a Apple version (not tested by me).

#7  skillachie 08-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Hey Elfwreck,

The app that you are looking for is called BookFusion!. This is exactly what we do. BookFusion is a cross platform eBook app that allows you to upload, organize and read your eBooks across all devices. BookFusion supports all eBook formats including epub, mobi, PDF, and comic (cbr/cbz) formats. Reading HTML, txt, or rtf/doc (Uploads via the web interface).

All your bookmarks, highlights, comments and reading progress will always be synced across all devices. We also have a Calibre plugin that makes sending your eBooks from Calibre as seamless as possible.

iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bookfusion/id1141834096

Calibre Plugin: https://www.bookfusion.com/reading/calibre

We currently have an updated version being reviewed by Apple scheduled to be released next week and have a major release planned for October that will include support for Series, List/Cover View and additional sort options.

Take us for a spin and let me know if you have any feedback. We will try our best to get them integrated in our next release.

#8  MusPuto 08-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Quote skillachie
Take us for a spin and let me know if you have any feedback. We will try our best to get them integrated in our next release.
Why do I need to sign in to use this app?

#9  MusPuto 08-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Quote Elfwreck
Goodreader has a pretty cluttered and dated UI. I’d go with Documents by Readdle, or PDF Viewer by PSPDFkit. They both remember position, but PDF Viewer won’t keep the document open for you if it closes out of memory.

#10  Elfwreck 08-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Quote MusPuto
Why do I need to sign in to use this app?
That was my thought. I'd looked into BookFusion, but it doesn't clearly state that it has the features I want, and it includes a whole bunch I don't care about, like cloud access across different devices.

It also seems to say that, to add books, I have to upload them into its library, and then download them to the device I'll be using. It doesn't seem to have an option for "read the books currently available on this device." Doesn't seem to mesh with Dropbox.

Most of my reading is done in times/places where I don't have internet access. Does it work if you're offline?

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register