Mobileread
New Nook Firmware
#1  Raphi'Elohim 07-18-2019, 02:05 AM
Tonight I randomly checked to see if there was new firmware , for my NOOK 7.8 glowlight plus, and to my surprise there was. I downloaded it but it says it will not update until it goes to sleep. Hopefully, I will have more to say on this later to tell what new features and perhaps bugs fixes they are pushing. Maybe, bluetooth will work with their Author interviews now.

#2  Sirtel 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM
My new Nook updated yesterday, the moment I took it out of the box and connected to wifi. But I have nothing to compare it with, of course.

#3  Raphi'Elohim 07-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Quote Sirtel
My new Nook updated yesterday, the moment I took it out of the box and connected to wifi. But I have nothing to compare it with, of course.
I got my Nook like a little less than a week and half ago if I remember correctly so there was definitely firmware update. The firmware version is your 'app version' and mine says 5.0.0.129/5.0.5.27' that is definitely an increment.

Seems like bug fixes, stability enhancing , and maybe speed fixes but I don't consider my Nook considerably slow, anyway, since in the developers' options I switched it from Dalvik to ART. ART is faster and I think all more modern versions of Android use it by default.

#4  Sirtel 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Quote Raphi'Elohim
The firmware version is your 'app version' and mine says 5.0.0.129/5.0.5.27' that is definitely an increment.

Seems like bug fixes, stability enhancing , and maybe speed fixes but I don't consider my Nook considerably slow, anyway, since in the developers' options I switched it from Dalvik to ART. ART is faster and I think all more modern versions of Android use it by default.
I have the same version.

I don't think the Nook is all that slow either, it's just slower than the Oasis or Voyage and I was used to their speed. But I'm not terribly bothered by my Nook's tardiness. After all, when I'm reading a novel, I'm generally in no hurry.

I may look into the developers' options later, thanks for the tip.

#5  Traciinaz 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.

#6  Sirtel 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Quote Traciinaz
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
I don't see an option to pick screensavers anywhere. My screensavers are bookshelves, books and the like. As my Nook updated immediately after switching it on the first time, I've no idea what the screensavers were before.

#7  Traciinaz 07-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Quote Sirtel
I don't see an option to pick screensavers anywhere. My screensavers are bookshelves, books and the like. As my Nook updated immediately after switching it on the first time, I've no idea what the screensavers were before.
Yes those are the screensavers I have now too. They must have removed the option to choose which screensavers showed.

#8  ZodWallop 07-19-2019, 07:29 PM
A couple of questions, sorry if they are dumb:

#9  Traciinaz 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Quote ZodWallop
A couple of questions, sorry if they are dumb:
I have the Glowlight 3 and had the update show up yesterday. I noticed there's now a status bar next to the book showing how far along you are in it. I haven't noticed any stability changes, however I also haven't had any stability issues with the GL3.

#10  Raphi'Elohim 07-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Quote Traciinaz
I have the Glowlight 3 and had the update show up yesterday. I noticed there's now a status bar next to the book showing how far along you are in it. I haven't noticed any stability changes, however I also haven't had any stability issues with the GL3.
Yep, they took that screensaver, away. It does not bother me anyway since Linux has one named fortune that has WAY more quotes than that screensaver. That wallpaper just recycled the same few quotes over and over again so that they became tiresome to me.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register