Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for June 2019 • Into the Labyrinth: The Quest
#101  Bookworm_Girl 05-09-2019, 02:10 AM
Quote Catlady
OK, color me confused. Your initial post on the subject seemed to bemoan the lack of variety in the choices--they were all SF/F or mysteries, you said. Now you are saying "I don’t see categorizing books as being exclusive and without shades of gray"--but you're the one who DID categorize the selections without those very shades of gray.
Not at all. I said I like themes because they encourage creativity and a variety of nominations. What I said was that we seem to "vote" as the "winner" the same type of books and I wish that the "winners" had the same sort of variety as the "nominations". I didn't say the way I categorize books are absolute and correct. I said it was my opinion and there were many ways "to parse the data," and I just provided my reasoning on how I see it so people can understand my reasoning behind my opinion.

However, I can't control how people vote. And it doesn't mean that I don't like what wins. I simply just don't think we have the same variety in the winners as the nominations. That's all.

I hope I've encouraged people to see things from a different perspective because this conversation has been very enlightening to me about how other people think too. I like that we're diverse, but I also want us to understand each other in our diversity. And, I want people to feel comfortable in voicing that diversity. My main purpose in joining the book club is to expose myself to new books and ideas that I wouldn't have if I read alone.

I'm happy we are probably going to have a non-fiction winner this month. Over 9 months has been too long in my opinion. I wish that we had a better split between fiction/non-fiction - like maybe 1/4 rather than 1/10. Just like I'd rather have something closer to 1/2 for contemporary (like post-1970) versus older.

#102  Bookpossum 05-09-2019, 04:11 AM
Quote Victoria
That’s so true . In fact, everyone seems to enjoy discussing the books they didn’t like every bit as much as the ones they loved!
I often have the most fun doing a review on Goodreads of a book that I thought was really awful. I did one some years ago for which I still get a "Like" every week or two, so a number of other people must have loathed it as much as I did.

#103  issybird 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Quote Bookpossum
I often have the most fun doing a review on Goodreads of a book that I thought was really awful. I did one some years ago for which I still get a "Like" every week or two, so a number of other people must have loathed it as much as I did.
I abandoned a book recently and the "likes" for my one-star review keep ratcheting up, also, even though the overall rating for the book is over four stars.

(It's always a relief to see that others get why a book is bad, even in the face of nearly universal acclaim! )

#104  issybird 05-09-2019, 08:47 AM
I've been reading this discussion with bemusement; I think for two reasons.

The first is that I don't think we've got enough data. Overall, I think randomness is still driving the selections. But I realize that's not a fair take on the situation and that there's no reason trends can't be discerned, even if it doesn't rise to the level of proof. The selections might well reflect a coalescing around certain themes or genres; the intersection on the Venn diagram of communal preferences!

But deeper than that, I look at my own preferences. I read a lot of nonfiction and I'd say that I don't like either mysteries or fantasy especially. But while nonfiction's been mostly a nonstarter, I've not felt that we've been heavily weighted toward either mystery or fantasy, much less both. Early on in this discussion I said that I'd characterize our choices as mainstream, and I still think that. (That also applies to our two nonfiction choices thus far.)

The labels don't matter, although our individual perceptions do. I know for me, I don't feel as if we need more variety in genre, as my own sense of being overall mainstream is where I think we naturally fall, but I wish we could get more outside the Anglo-American bias in terms of authors and settings that I think we've shown. But at this point, I'm willing to say that also reflects randomness.

#105  astrangerhere 05-14-2019, 11:43 AM
D'Oh! Nevermind.

Maybe I will have time to pick up June's read (crosses fingers and ignores pile of cases on corner of desk)

#106  issybird 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Quote astrangerhere
D'Oh! Nevermind.

Maybe I will have time to pick up June's read (crosses fingers and ignores pile of cases on corner of desk)
I just read your original post. I'd have loved to reread The Odyssey; my own original thought was The Aeneid at that. And I just picked up the Claire Danes narration of the Wilson translation yesterday in Audible's daily deal.

Well, Odysseus was a prodigy, wasn't he? (Looking at next month's theme.)

« First  « Prev   (11/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register