Mobileread
Why cant Marvin do PDFs?
#1  anonymust 03-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Why cant Marvin3 on my ipad open PDFs?

I love the app soo much working alongside with Calibre

#2  Valkrider 03-03-2019, 03:11 AM
It was never designed to. Don't forget that pdf's are really just images where as epub's are proper re-flowable text files.

#3  pwalker8 03-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Quote Valkrider
It was never designed to. Don't forget that pdf's are really just images where as epub's are proper re-flowable text files.
Well, no they are not just images. PDF is a page formatting language. Some people use it to display page images rather than text, but that's not really it's primary use. It is different than epubs, of course, but Books handles both, so it's not irrational to ask the question. The answer is that PDF is a different format, just like mobi and any number of formats. The developer of Marvin focused on epubs.

#4  HarryT 03-03-2019, 09:21 AM
If you want to view, manage and annotate PDFs on an iPad, get "GoodReader". It is (IMHO) by far and away the best PDF tool around for the iPad.

(And no, PDFs are assuredly not "just images"!)

#5  pwalker8 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Quote HarryT
If you want to view, manage and annotate PDFs on an iPad, get "GoodReader". It is (IMHO) by far and away the best PDF tool around for the iPad.

About 15 years ago, I had to write a program to display Text from PDF's at work. There is actually quite a bit of documentation on reading PDF's.

#6  HarryT 03-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Since 2008 the PDF file format has been an ISO standard (ISO 32000-1) and hence is fully documented:

https://www.iso.org/standard/51502.html

#7  cedhax 03-04-2019, 02:12 AM
Quote HarryT

If you just want to view, manage and annotate PDFs as well as EPUBs, all in the same app, on any iOS device, then get MapleRead SE. IMHO, it is the best app for this purpose.

#8  HarryT 03-04-2019, 03:16 AM
Quote cedhax
If you just want to view, manage and annotate PDFs as well as EPUBs, all in the same app, on any iOS device, then get MapleRead SE. IMHO, it is the best app for this purpose.
Does it allow you to have multiple PDFs open simultaneously and rapidly flip between them? That's a basic function which is essential when using PDFs for academic research, but which is sadly lacking in many apps. GoodReader does it extremely well - it allows you to rapidly flip between documents (or even different parts of the same document) and to view two documents side by side in portrait mode.

#9  anonymust 03-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Quote HarryT
If you want to view... PDFs on an iPad, get "GoodReader"
Does GoodReader have OPDS syncing features? so I don't have to drag and drop files to my iPad

#10  HarryT 03-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Quote anonymust
Does GoodReader have OPDS syncing features? so I don't have to drag and drop files to my iPad
I don't know, I'm afraid. It supports loading from Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive, as well as FTP, WebDAV, and SMB servers.

GoodReader supports the "Open With..." protocol on iPad, so even if it doesn't support OPDS natively, would you not simply be able to browse the OPDS catalogue using a web browser, select the book that you want, and use "Open With" to open it in GoodReader?

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register