Mobileread
Mini Kobo Mini mandatory update
#11  Calenorn 01-29-2019, 08:49 AM
Quote Tiago Leite
Hello and good morning everyone!

I just received the email to update my Kobo Mini but after downloading the update (just select Sync in my Kobo) it only displays a OK message.

I click on the button and nothing happens... :/
Soooooo...

If I'm only reading side-loaded material, why would I risk this?

#12  Tiago Leite 01-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Quote Calenorn
Soooooo...

If I'm only reading side-loaded material, why would I risk this?
Sorry Calenorn, I don't understand your question.

In the email that was sent about updating the Kobo says:

"Follow the prompts on your Kobo Mini to install the update before February 28."

"If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop Application for Windows or OSX."

So I just I synchronized my device, like I normally do, and the 1st thing that appeared was the downloading message at the top of the device. When it reaches 100%, appears the box with an OK message. I select it and then the box disappears but nothing happens.
Restarting the device does nothing differently (i.e. it's a normal restart).
When I check when was made the last sync, it says December 30th (it was the last successful sync that I made before this firmware update).

Right now I'm not near the Kobo, but I will try to update via PC. It might bring a different outcome.

#13  the_doc 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
I have a Kobo Mini too. I've been using KOReader as my only ereader software for the last two years, but after receiving this same email I decided to launch Nickel and synchronize.
My firmware has not been updated. It still has version 3.19.5761
However I have noticed an ugly change after syncing: All my collections are empty. The only book available through the Collections menu is now a free classic book that is precisely the only book that I got from the Kobo shop. All the sideloaded books have disappeared from the collections.

#14  Calenorn 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
Quote Tiago Leite
Sorry Calenorn, I don't understand your question.

In the email that was sent about updating the Kobo says:

"Follow the prompts on your Kobo Mini to install the update before February 28."

"If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop Application for Windows or OSX."

So I just I synchronized my device, like I normally do, and the 1st thing that appeared was the downloading message at the top of the device. When it reaches 100%, appears the box with an OK message. I select it and then the box disappears but nothing happens.
Restarting the device does nothing differently (i.e. it's a normal restart).
When I check when was made the last sync, it says December 30th (it was the last successful sync that I made before this firmware update).

Right now I'm not near the Kobo, but I will try to update via PC. It might bring a different outcome.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought your Mini was stuck on the "OK" screen.

"Nothing happens" is good news, as long as the Mini continued to operate normally. If this update was intended to update security settings I imagine there would be no visible change to the reader's operations.

#15  Calenorn 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Quote the_doc
I have a Kobo Mini too. I've been using KOReader as my only ereader software for the last two years, but after receiving this same email I decided to launch Nickel and synchronize.
My firmware has not been updated. It still has version 3.19.5761
However I have noticed an ugly change after syncing: All my collections are empty. The only book available through the Collections menu is now a free classic book that is precisely the only book that I got from the Kobo shop. All the sideloaded books have disappeared from the collections.
Are the collections still there, but empty? Or did they disappear totally?

Are the side-loaded books still on the Mini? Or will they have to be re-loaded?

Is this a sync, or a factory reset?

#16  the_doc 01-29-2019, 10:05 AM
It is a sync. The collections are there, but empty.
None of the books has disappeared from the device. I can launch them, but not from the collections.

#17  geek1011 01-29-2019, 10:31 AM
I'm 99% certain this update is 3.19.5761. A few days ago, I noticed (and posted in the 4.12.12111 thread) that the affiliates other than rakutenbooks now have 3.19.5761 instead of 3.4.1, and rakutenbooks now has 4.12.12111 for the other devices.

#18  Tiago Leite 01-29-2019, 11:03 AM
So Kobo staff replied to my email about this situation:

"Thank you for contacting Rakuten Kobo.

I'm sorry for what happened, but do not worry, I'm here to help you.

Please follow the steps below to update your Kobo Mini software:

You will need to install the update manually using the Kobo Desktop for Windows or OSX application.

1. Connect your eReader to your computer using a Micro USB cable and tap Connect.
2. Open Kobo Desktop on your computer.
3. If you are not already logged in to your Kobo account, click the Profile icon at the top of the screen and log in.
4. Click the Synchronize icon.
5. Your eReader will be synchronized and updated with the latest books.
6. Click the Eject button at the top of the screen to disconnect your eReader from your computer.

Please let us know if the above procedure resolved your incident by replying to this email.
We apologize for this inconvenience.

We appreciate your understanding and patience. Have an excellent day!"

PS: I put the text in bold to emphasize it. So, yeah.... I will try to update the Kobo connecting it on my PC.

#19  koboy 01-29-2019, 12:52 PM
does this mean after a factory reset it won't be possible anymore to manually sideload the firmware version of your choice?

best wishes koboy

#20  the_doc 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM
I think it means that if you don't update before one month, and you do a factory reset, then the device won't work.
But if you update, then factory resets will work.
It says nothing about sideloading firmwares, but I guess it will be allways possible.
Worst case scenario, reflash the internal memory card.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register