Mobileread
[Android] Wish List
#1  chaley 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM
This thread is for discussing what you would like to change in CC. Additions, deletions, and changes to existing functionality are all fair game.

Major CC releases happen every 3 to 6 months. We don't promise that we will do what you ask in these releases, but we will be guided by what users want. Having things here is also an excellent way to ensure that the ideas are not forgotten. I will try to keep this summary up-to-date

Wish list items from all sources:

#2  chaley 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
By kaufman from http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235657
----
When in list view, you always show the same information. Cover on the left. Title, author, and series on the right.

This fills up the space when using small covers, but leaves a lot of empty space for normal, medium, and large ones. Perhaps you could show some extended book information when those sizes are selected.

My thought perhaps to show Rating and Publication date when using the normal or medium sized cover and to show Rating, Publication date and Tags when using the large covers.

What do you think?

Moderator Notice
I couldn't figure out how to merge the threads without Kaufman's post coming out on top.

#3  chaley 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Quote kaufman
When in list view, you always show the same information. Cover on the left. Title, author, and series on the right.

This fills up the space when using small covers, but leaves a lot of empty space for normal, medium, and large ones. Perhaps you could show some extended book information when those sizes are selected.

My thought perhaps to show Rating and Publication date when using the normal or medium sized cover and to show Rating, Publication date and Tags when using the large covers.

What do you think?
I have been thinking about something like this for a while. One idea I had was to add an optional third line to the list view, along with a preference indicating what should be put into it. The user could choose from the standard set of metadata items, and also could enter custom column lookup names.

Whenever I think of this I run into several issues. The first is formatting. Can the user specify the order of the items? Are they displayed one line per item or word wrapped? Or is there some more fancy layout system where the cell is divided into regions and the user can choose what goes into a region. Another is navigation: can any of them be tapped, now that we have that in book details and know how to do it? If so, should the existing author line become tappable? There are also likely to be performance issues, especially when flinging the list up and down.

Hmmm....

#4  kaufman 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I think the easiest way to handle this is not to do the lines completely free form, but to give a couple of options. Fixed size metadata might come two to a line, and variable size would be one to a line. Something like:

[] Rating and Publication Date
[] Publisher and Publication Date
[] Rating and Publisher
[] Tags

I would argue against making them tapable for three reasons:

1) Right now the user has a fairly big area to tap to open the details screen (which is the default use-case), but if you made all the sub-information tapable, the way to open the details screen would become a very small target.

2) From this screen, the user already has the option to open the grouping drawer and tap there.

3) It will make this screen really busy with all that underlining.

#5  jackie_w 03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Another possible Book List idea for the future... I expect those who retain already Read books in CC may like to see at-a-glance which books are Read and which aren't. I know you can select Read/Unread by grouping but a simple one-char field (e.g. asterisk or a tick) in a fixed column (between cover and Author/Title ???) in Book List might be nice.

Plus I'll reiterate my long-standing wish to be able to 'promote' the Comments field to be the first (after cover) on the Book Details page. Having Author and Title at the top seems a waste when I can easily read that info on the cover. As for Publisher, ISBN and Languages, if I had the option, I really don't need to see them in CC at all - but that's probably just me.

#6  kaufman 03-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Quote jackie_w
Plus I'll reiterate my long-standing wish to be able to 'promote' the Comments field to be the first (after cover) on the Book Details page. Having Author and Title at the top seems a waste when I can easily read that info on the cover. As for Publisher, ISBN and Languages, if I had the option, I really don't need to see them in CC at all - but that's probably just me.
While I also don't care about Publisher and languages either, the other fields have become a lot more useful in the latest release. Being able to jump to the author or series grouping is great and jumping to the appropriate web page based on the book ID is really nice as well.

Give them a try and you might not want to banish them any more.

#7  chaley 03-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Quote jackie_w
Another possible Book List idea for the future... I expect those who retain already Read books in CC may like to see at-a-glance which books are Read and which aren't. I know you can select Read/Unread by grouping but a simple one-char field (e.g. asterisk or a tick) in a fixed column (between cover and Author/Title ???) in Book List might be nice.
If I did something like this (and I think it is a good idea) then I would use the same symbols that calibre uses: green check, red X and empty.

This would also play well with kaufman's proposal, somehow...
We have had several requests to be able to reorder the items in book details. There is nothing particularly hard with producing the page in different orders. The hard part is specifying them. I think I would need something like the folders dialog where all of the fields are shown and the user can move them up and down. Because of the multiple library problem (I cannot know what custom fields are available) I think that the setup must be available only from book details so that I can look at that book to get the field names.

Another thing I can do is keep a list of *every* field specification that has ever shown up on the device. This isn't too hard given that the info is buried in the metadata that calibre sends to the device. If I did this then (I think) I would need a function that scans the DB and removes any fields that are no longer there, something that would take a while for a lot of books (around 4 to 6 books per second). Doing it this way would also allow me to change the selection boxes in settings (grouping, read syncing) from "manually type" to "select from a list". Of course, things would to south rather quickly if different libraries use the same lookup key for different column types.

#8  PatNY 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM
With the latest changes where all books suddenly had the same "Updated" date, it got me to thinking that I would love the option to sort books in the library by the "date added to CC." Any modifications to any metadata would always be ignored, and books would always show by the order they were added to the library. If a book was deleted in CC, and then got added back, it would go to the top of the list as any new book would.

While I think I would use this as my default sort most of the time, it wouldn't totally supplant the "Date Updated (CC)" sorting. I would still use that often to check that changes I make to books/metadata in Calibre on the PC had carried over correctly.

Quote chaley

We have had several requests to be able to reorder the items in book details. There is nothing particularly hard with producing the page in different orders. The hard part is specifying them. I think I would need something like the folders dialog where all of the fields are shown and the user can move them up and down.
If you do this, then it seems like it might be an easy step to put a check box next to each field so that the user can choose to hide certain ones from the details page? Like the custom metadata?

Great idea to have the wishlist thread!

--Pat

#9  kaufman 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Quote chaley
We have had several requests to be able to reorder the items in book details. There is nothing particularly hard with producing the page in different orders. The hard part is specifying them. I think I would need something like the folders dialog where all of the fields are shown and the user can move them up and down. Because of the multiple library problem (I cannot know what custom fields are available) (
Something you could do that would be a lot easier and only slightly less valuable could be to treat all non-standard fields as one block. Then you could have options to order/show/hide the title/author/publisher/.../custom-fields. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would work for most people and be a lot less work.

Quote PatNY
With the latest changes where all books suddenly had the same "Updated" date, it got me to thinking that I would love the option to sort books in the library by the "date added to CC."
If you are going into the sorting code, I have a request I have been sitting on. Its actually in two parts,

1) I would like the option to hide sorting type I don't use. I only ever sort by title, author or series, so I would like to suppress the other ones. This is really only helpful it you also....
2) It wold be nice to have the an option for the sorting button to just cycle through the sort types the way the Show button toggles between the different view types.

I switch back and forth a lot, and this would cut out a lot of button presses.

You could also get much of the same value by having an option to switch to Series sorting whenever the group by was changed to "series" and then switch to some user defined "default sort" whenever the user switched to a different grouping. In some ways, this is better because "series" sorting is probably what most people do when they switch to a series, and title or author is probably most used in title, author, tag or rating groupings. In fact, if you added another default sort for ungrouped, you could also handle the case where a person is loking at their entire library. I imagine that that is the most common use-case for the date related sorts.

In reading over this, I actually think I like this way better because it would allow me to move the Sort by button to the menu, since I would almost never use it any more.

#10  jackie_w 03-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Quote kaufman
2) It wold be nice to have the an option for the sorting button to just cycle through the sort types the way the Show button toggles between the different view types... etc
... I'm afraid I couldn't agree with you less CC is the only book app I've used (on android or eink devices) which allows me to set secondary/tertiary/etc sort fields from the device. My standard sort sequence is Author/Series[Index]/Title - OK, it currently takes 3 sort passes to get me there - but how would I achieve that at all with what you're suggesting. Now, if you were suggesting a feature to cycle around a personal set of 'saved sort sequences', I could happily vote for that, but that's probably not so easy.

Next »  Last »  (1/54)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register