Mobileread
MobileRead August 09 Book Club Nominations
#11  pilotbob 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Quote JSWolf
How far back are we allowed to go before it's no longer contemporary?
Hmm... didn't we have this discussion before? Also, is "contemporary" based on when it was written or what the setting was.

Seeing as this is an informal group I would say we are pretty lenient. I would say anything from 1900 or later that is not science fiction/fantasy type stuff is going to be ok. But, if you are not sure... post it and we can decide as a group.

BOb

#12  BenG 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I would say it is contemporary if the author is still alive and writing.

#13  =X= 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I agree with BenG, I always understood contemporary author or works to mean the author is alive and writing in our era, but that doesn't mean the place of the work has to take place in our time.

To say "contemporary works" is not the same to say a "work that takes place in contemporary time".

=X=

#14  JSWolf 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote =X=
Yeah, I agree with BenG, I always understood contemporary author or works to mean the author is alive and writing in our era, but that doesn't mean the place of the work has to take place in our time.

To say "contemporary works" is not the same to say a "work that takes place in contemporary time".

=X=
I would use the term contemporary to mean something written that takes place now or not too far in the past from now.

If I was to say nominate the one Star Trek eBook we have in the MR library, it would not fit. It's not contemporary even though the author is still alive and writing. So using contemporary to mean the author is alive does not fit (IMHO).

#15  BenG 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM
It all depends on what was intended when the category was created, though when most people use "Contemporary" to refer to when the book was written.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Literature

If you mean the setting then Golf in the Year 2000 would be contemporary even though it was written in the 19th century.

#16  ficbot 07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
We have a Star Trek ebook? Where?

I second 'Little Brother.' Can we nominate short story collections, or only novels? I have been meaning to read the Kelly Link collection 'Stranger Things happen' and I know she's contemporary and freely available here.

#17  Dumas 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I third Little Brother by Cory Doctorow and at the same time nominate 1984 by George Orwell along the same lines (and quite contemporary considering Amazon's actions in just the last week.)

#18  Elsi 07-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Quote Dumas
I third Little Brother by Cory Doctorow and at the same time nominate 1984 by George Orwell along the same lines (and quite contemporary considering Amazon's actions in just the last week.)
When Little Brother comes out in paperback, I plan to offer to supply 25-30 copies to my local high school for use in their senior US Government course. My hope would be that students would read both 1984 and Little Brother and discuss how to preserve public safety without taking away personal liberties. Also the role of dissent and how governments respond to it.

By the way, did anyone know that Little Brother had been turned into a play? It just finished a short run at the Griffin Theatre in Chicago. See http://www.griffintheatre.com/NewLittleBrotherPage1.html

#19  pilotbob 07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Quote Dumas
1984 isn't in our library or free. So that can't be nominated.

BOb

#20  doreenjoy 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Quote pilotbob
1984 isn't in our library or free. So that can't be nominated.

BOb
Yes, it is. The title is "Nineteen Eighty-Four", NOT "1984"

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=nineteen

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register