Mobileread
can backed up files be zipped?
#1  peaceridge 11-17-2019, 10:50 AM
I'm trying to archive my library. After I back it up, can those files be zipped?

#2  theducks 11-17-2019, 11:06 AM
Quote peaceridge
I'm trying to archive my library. After I back it up, can those files be zipped?
Yes, that is also what Export does. It creates 'spanned zips' of your library and settings.

Now, don't expect much compression if your library is not mostly PDF or TXT, because most of the other formats are already compressed.
But archiving is good (be sure to test that archive if it does span. Finding you have a damaged part file, when you need it is a bug bummer. IMHO optical media should not be trusted for long term storage. It can fade. Store in a cool, dark place. )

#3  peaceridge 11-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Quote theducks
Yes, that is also what Export does. It creates 'spanned zips' of your library and settings.

Now, don't expect much compression if your library is not mostly PDF or TXT, because most of the other formats are already compressed.
But archiving is good (be sure to test that archive if it does span. Finding you have a damaged part file, when you need it is a bug bummer. IMHO optical media should not be trusted for long term storage. It can fade. Store in a cool, dark place. )
Thanks, most of mine are epubs, so I won't zip again. Appreciate the help. I also keep a copy on my phone just in case the house burns down or something lol!

#4  theducks 11-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Quote peaceridge
Thanks, most of mine are epubs, so I won't zip again. Appreciate the help. I also keep a copy on my phone just in case the house burns down or something lol!
Zip is also a Wrapper that just keeps it all together.
(That is also why HTML sources get Zipped/RAR when you add those to your library. You need the entire package to be usable)

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register