Mobileread
Calibre Freezes when adding new books
#1  tarektaha 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Never had this issue before but now every time i try to add a book, Calibre stays on the book adding screen.

I can't abort or cancel, the only way to close is killing the exe.

- Updated to last version - Same issue
- restart PC -- Same issue

#2  tarektaha 11-17-2019, 08:45 AM
Here is a Youtube link for the error

https://youtu.be/ach-fRcPXQU

#3  kovidgoyal 11-17-2019, 09:21 AM
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#calibre-freezes-crashes-occasionally

#4  tarektaha 11-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Hello Kovi:
I think I did connect to a screen earlier. But now I've disconnected and am only using the laptop screen. still I can't see the "Hidden" Calibre screen to click on it. is there a way to reset calibre screen locations?

I've also uninstalled and reinstall it but still same thing?

Thank you!

#5  theducks 11-17-2019, 10:20 AM
This has become a recent issue (glitched: last window location) and is fairly easy to recover.

(standard Windows keystrokes)
With Calibre lost off screen (running)
Alt+space then M Then hit the Left arrow key a dozen or so times.
You should see an edge appear. Grab the titlebar and move it to where you want it.

The reason uninstall does not repair: Calibre does nor uninstall USER settings. That would seriously mess up all your configuration work

#6  tarektaha 11-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Quote theducks
This has become a recent issue (glitched: last window location) and is fairly easy to recover.

You should see an edge appear. Grab the titlebar and move it to where you want it.

The reason uninstall does not repair: Calibre does nor uninstall USER settings. That would seriously mess up all your configuration work

Got it! Thank you

#7  zipperhead46163 01-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Quote theducks

Thanks for this solution. It worked for me as well. It appears that Calibre is frozen but it is simply waiting for Operator input with the prompt off the display screen somewhere.

Thanks Much

#8  theducks 01-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Quote zipperhead46163
Thanks for this solution. It worked for me as well. It appears that Calibre is frozen but it is simply waiting for Operator input with the prompt off the display screen somewhere.

Thanks Much
You are welcome.
The new QT stuff has to be driving Kovid up the wall as well.

A day does not go by, when daughter windows just up and misbehave.

I touch up book with the editor. I use a preview pane on the upper monitor: every 1/2 dozen or so, the Preview opens back on the lower monitor, OR the (height) size no longer fits on a 1080 monitor and needs to be shrunk just a bit.

#9  BetterRed 01-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Quote zipperhead46163

Thanks Much
What version of calibre - Kovid added a "Possible fix for some windows appearing off screen on multi-monitor setups" to version 4.7.

BR

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register