Mobileread
Calibre Portable with a portable python install, is it possible?
#1  Vlash 11-07-2019, 06:21 PM
I installed calibre portable on a thumb drive, hoping I could use it on the university's computers, just to find out none of them has python, neither on the labs nor on the library, so it's all the same, can't run calibre on them. So I thought, maybe I could use Portable Python to run calibre, but I have no ideaif that would really work, or how to do it.

#2  BetterRed 11-07-2019, 06:32 PM
You don't need it - calibre portable is self contained i.e everything including Python is in the install, all you should need Windows.

BR

#3  itimpi 11-07-2019, 07:28 PM
The other thing required is the ability to run programs from the drive containing Calibre Portable. In some environments their security policy will not allow this.

#4  Vlash 11-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Quote BetterRed
You don't need it - calibre portable is self contained i.e everything including Python is in the install, all you should need Windows.

BR
Well, I tested it somewhere else, and it indeed works without installing Python.
I thought it was a python problem, I am getting the error "'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x3f in position 18: invalid start byte (Error Code: 1)" upon trying to launch "calibre-portable.exe", what might be the cause?

#5  kovidgoyal 11-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Make sure the full path to the portable directory contains only english characters.

#6  Vlash 11-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Make sure the full path to the portable directory contains only english characters.
Indeed that was the case. I was launching calibre from my thumb drive, whose path is "[Drive Letter]:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\calibre-portable.exe"

#7  kovidgoyal 11-15-2019, 10:32 PM
run

calibre-debug.exe -g

in a command prompt to get more details about the erorr.

#8  Vlash 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
run

calibre-debug.exe -g

in a command prompt to get more details about the erorr.
I got this:

Code
E:\Calibre Portable\Calibre>calibre-debug.exe -g
Python function terminated unexpectedly 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 18: invalid continuation byte (Error Code: 1) Traceback (most recent call last): File "site.py", line 114, in main File "site.py", line 87, in run_entry_point File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 23, in <module> File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 204, in <module> File "site-packages\calibre\utils\icu.py", line 28, in <module> File "site-packages\calibre\constants.py", line 232, in __getitem__ File "site-packages\calibre\constants.py", line 216, in load_plugin
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 18: invalid continuation byte
Notice that the computers that present me these errors are all running Windows Vista x86. Don't know if that's the problem, but it may be, since it works absolutely fine with Win7/10 computers.

#9  kovidgoyal 11-22-2019, 10:18 PM
As is noted on the calibre windows page windows vista is not supported. you need to use calibre 3.48 for it.

#10  Vlash 11-23-2019, 11:24 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
As is noted on the calibre windows page windows vista is not supported. you need to use calibre 3.48 for it.
Ok, just had not noticed it. Anyway, thanks for making Calibre possible

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register