Mobileread
Android devices. Built in e-reader vs. e-reader app. Your preferences?
#1  norweger 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM
I haven't had an Android e-reader before. I guess some of them get the hiccups when you install and use your favorite Android e-reader app, like Moon+ Reader, Cool Reader, FBreader).

So, if you own an Android e-reader, do you use the built in app, or an app from Google Play?

#2  Question Mark 10-27-2019, 11:05 AM
All depends on what I am reading.

Most often I will use the native reading app on my Onyx ereaders, especially if I want to make notes on the book as I am reading it.

However, I also have a variety of other ereader apps installed on my ereaders. For example, I usually use Moon+ Reader when reading in Japanese because it handles furigana properly unlike most other ereading apps I have tried.

And then, when I am using Moon+ Reader to read in Japanese, I might have a couple of other ereading apps open so that I can easily jump from one app to the other if I want to check on something. For example, I'll have a Japanese ebook open in Moon+ Reader and its English translation open in Cool Reader.

Also, when reading in Moon+ Reader, I can jump between that app and a Japanese language app very easily if I cannot find a term in the dictionaries which I have installed for Moon+ Reader.This has proven very convenient for me.

Unfortunately, when just using Onyx;s native ereading app, although one can have up to four different books open and jump between them easily, one cannot jump between the native ereading app and other ereading or language apps so seamlessly. Thus, I find it necessary to have a number of different reading and dictionary apps available to me.

#3  JSWolf 10-27-2019, 11:37 AM
The answer depends if the supplied app or the external app is garbage or not. Garbage is when the app doesn't respect the CSS as is the case with most Android reading apps which is why most are garbage.

#4  Skydog 10-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Moon+ Reader

#5  Dopedangel 10-28-2019, 03:57 AM
Quote JSWolf
The answer depends if the supplied app or the external app is garbage or not. Garbage is when the app doesn't respect the CSS as is the case with most Android reading apps which is why most are garbage.
Personally I feel a lot of the css is garbage so a reader that I can set to ignore it the best option.

#6  alfpier 10-30-2019, 07:06 AM
Hello

do anyone know if is there an ereader app optimized for eink that has these functionalities for pdfs:

page reindexing: useful to add an offset to page number in order to be able to go to actual page in the main text and skip those pages that are not main text (contents,lists of figures, etc). This should work also after having splitted two page landscape documents.

Automatic skew correction: useful to correct the skew of those documents that come from scans non perfectly done where text is not always horizontal.

I know that these features are present in ebookdroid, app that I used thoroughly on my previous Samsung tablet. Using ebookdroid on my eink (boox nova pro) I found the rendering of text is not as good as that of the default app (neo Reader, which however lacks the useful features mentioned before)

Unfortunately the devs of ebookdroid refuse to release an eink version of their app, so I am asking you guys if you know some alternatives with similar functionalities

Sent from my NovaPro using Tapatalk

#7  stumped 10-30-2019, 07:42 AM
is there even such a thing as an android ereader app that is optimised for e-ink?
the market for that must be... miniscule? ?

#8  DoctorOhh 11-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Quote norweger
So, if you own an Android e-reader, do you use the built in app, or an app from Google Play?
I use Moon+ Reader Pro on my android eink device. I like the customization it allows me.

Quote stumped
is there even such a thing as an android ereader app that is optimised for e-ink?
I bet (without trying) several ereader apps are optimized for eink by default. I don't recall having to do anything drastic to Moon+ Reader when I placed it on my eink device. I simply chose the theme appropriate for my device and that was it.

#9  JSWolf 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Quote Dopedangel
Personally I feel a lot of the css is garbage so a reader that I can set to ignore it the best option.
There's no problem having overrides, but the program also has to respect the CSS. The best way to do it is for each override is to have an off setting. So you can turn all overrides off or on as you want. This way it's not all on or all off.

Besides, once I'm done editing the CSS, it's not garbage. It may not be as clean as it should be, but it's giving good results on screen.

#10  JSWolf 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Quote stumped
When I used using a Sony Reader PRS-T1, it used a version of RMSDK (ADE) that worked with eInk. The T1 runs on some version Android.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register