Mobileread
Logical TOC problem in Kindle on iOS
#11  ash-f 10-14-2019, 05:00 AM
Quote Doitsu
Yes. Do you see TOC entries, when you select Tools > Table of Contents > Generate Table of Contents?
Yes I do.

#12  theducks 10-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Quote ash-f
Yes I do.
Did you save it!
(the existing NCX TOC is also available for viewing in the Table of Contents (Alt-F3) side bar )

#13  odamizu 10-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Is an NCX TOC required for logical TOC? I thought nav toc in epub3 now suffices. See 5.2.1 starting on page 17 of Kindle Publishing Guidelines.

I always create an NCX for backward compatibility, so I've never tested this with just a nav toc, but I'm always curious about what works and what doesn't.

#14  Doitsu 10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Quote odamizu
Is an NCX TOC required for logical TOC?
Only in epub2 books. If you compile an epub3 book with NAV and NCX TOCs with KindleGen, it'll use the NAV TOC to generate the logical TOC.

@ash-f Maybe your book is missing the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry. Try opening your book with Kindle Previewer, if the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry is missing, the Table of Contents entry will be greyed out.
TOC.PNG 

#15  odamizu 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Quote Doitsu
Only in epub2 books. If you compile an epub3 book with NAV and NCX TOCs with KindleGen, it'll use the NAV TOC to generate the logical TOC.
Cool! Thanks!

#16  ash-f 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Quote Doitsu

@ash-f Maybe your book is missing the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry. Try opening your book with Kindle Previewer, if the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry is missing, the Table of Contents entry will be greyed out.
It has both html and ncx.
And toc is shown correctly on Kindle Previewer and all platforms except iOS.

#17  odamizu 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM
How are you transferring the book to iOS?

I always use KindleGen (which is embedded in Kindle Previewer) to convert epub to mobi (which contains both azw3/kf8 and old mobi format, not sure about azk). Then I use Send to Kindle app to transfer mobi to iOS, and I always get a logical TOC.

#18  ash-f 10-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Quote odamizu

I always use KindleGen (which is embedded in Kindle Previewer) to convert epub to mobi (which contains both azw3/kf8 and old mobi format, not sure about azk). Then I use Send to Kindle app to transfer mobi to iOS, and I always get a logical TOC.
Hmm Kindle iOS can handle mobi files..?
I thought it handles only azk.
I export azk from Kindle Previewer and then transfer it to iOS using iTunes' file sharing feature.

#19  ash-f 10-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Quote odamizu

Wow, transferring mobi worked! now iOS shows toc correctly.
So I should never use azk?
I've heard that file format for iOS should be azk before.

#20  jhowell 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Quote ash-f
Wow, transferring mobi worked! now iOS shows toc correctly.
So I should never use azk?
I've heard that file format for iOS should be azk before.
When a Master MOBI is transferred to the iOS app the older MOBI-7 part of the file is used and the KF8 portion is ignored. To see KF8 formatting you need to sideload an AZK file.

I played around with AZK a while ago and I found the azkcreator included in the Kindle Previewer to be quite buggy. I did testing on the files it produces and found some serious problems:

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register