Mobileread
Catalina and Calibre
#1  swinnerton 10-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Have been successfully using Calibre on my Mac for several years .
Just installed Catalina and to my dismay get message that there is an error communicating with the device via usb and a suggestion I reboot reset try new cable different port and so on ..i have done but kindle still unable to connect to Calibre 4.1 ..any ideas ?
Regards
Gerry

#2  kovidgoyal 10-10-2019, 10:16 PM
What is the full error you get?

#3  swinnerton 10-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Reinstalling Catalina fixed all my problems with Calibre.
There were several glitches with photos and Vuze which this reinstall has also fixed.
Regards

#4  Joreur 10-31-2019, 09:31 PM
i have the same problem, on two different Kindle Paperwhites.Ive not yet had time to reinstall Catalina
calibre, version 4.2.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 473, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 161, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

This is a copy of the error message

Regards

Joreur

#5  Joreur 10-31-2019, 09:34 PM
I should have said in my immediately previous post that The Kindles work perfectly in Finder. iMac sees and communicates with them as normal.

Regards

Joreur

#6  kovidgoyal 10-31-2019, 11:09 PM
You told macOS not to allow calibre access to the Kindle when it was first connected. There is a procedure to grant permission, a bit of googling will find it.

#7  Joreur 11-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Easy when you know where to look. System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy>Files and Folders>calibre removable volumes. Now working fine. Incidentally I was not aware of being asked to grant or not grant permission to Calibre

Thanks for your help

Joreur

#8  JSWolf 11-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Quote Joreur
Easy when you know where to look. System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy>Files and Folders>calibre removable volumes. Now working fine. Incidentally I was not aware of being asked to grant or not grant permission to Calibre

Thanks for your help

Joreur
The problem can be that when you are clicking and a requester pops up under the mouse, it's rather easy to click the wrong option without even noticing.

#9  LzFm 11-18-2019, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure if this is also caused by Catalina, but after the update on my Macbook, the 'drag and drop' option from Calibre to different folders or other applications doesn't work anymore. That feature still works on my iMac, though.

Do I need to make some changes on the settings? Both 'Removable Volumes' and 'Documents Folder' are currently selected under Privacy.

#10  kovidgoyal 11-18-2019, 08:36 PM
This is because of https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-78264

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register