Mobileread
Thinner is not always better
#11  DNSB 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM
Quote ZodWallop

Quote Sirtel
For me it's not so much the thinness, but the tiny bezels. There's no need for a fat top bezel, but the rest of them should be comfortable to grip.
And yet the Nook Glowlight 3 still gets ragged on due to its bezels on this very board.
There are bezels that are large enough to be useful and there are bezels that makes you think about a late 1950's car tailfins
Cadillac1001.jpg 

#12  Tarana 06-18-2019, 05:23 PM
I have Kindle Voyages, which I'm told are bezel-less. What is a bezel?

As to thickness, I really notice that when I switch between a Paperwhite 2 and a Basic 7. The Basic 7 or 8 is much thinner and lighter. They are in similar covers. Obviously, the Basic 8 doesn't have lighting, which likely accounts for it.

I had to buy a thicker cover (Fintie) for my Glo3 because i and the original B&t kept getting knocked off the bed and the original B&N cover just wasn't sturdy enough for that.

#13  Barty 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM
^^^ the bezel is the area in front surrounding the screen, where you can put your thumb without touching it covering the screen.

Unfortunately, what's pleasing to the eyes isn't necessarily what's pleasing to the touch or to hold. The most comfortable e-reader I've held is the nook with wide bezels and curved corners that looks kind of ugly.

Metal/ glass back looks premium but isn't comfortable to hold, so you have to slap on a big plastic or leather case and basically it's there to look good in the ads.

#14  PurpleStar 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM
It’s true. My Kobo Clara HD slips right out of my hands if I don’t have it in the sleepcover. It’s ridiculously thin.

#15  Nausicaa 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM
I agree with leebase. Don't you put it in a case anyway or does that make it too thick?

#16  theducks 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Quote Nausicaa
I agree with leebase. Don't you put it in a case anyway or does that make it too thick?
Adding a case also adds to the weight, while making it thicker, only need add material (and strength) to the edges (and maybe a few support 'pillars' mid span) with little weight gain. "Thin", "Sleek" are marketing tools. OTOH, I don't want a 'Ruggedized", Military model to carry with me

#17  HarryT 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Quote Tarana
I have Kindle Voyages, which I'm told are bezel-less. What is a bezel?
The Voyage certainly has a bezel. Perhaps youÂ’re getting a bezel mixed up with a flush screen?

#18  Nausicaa 06-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Quote theducks
Adding a case also adds to the weight, while making it thicker, only need add material (and strength) to the edges (and maybe a few support 'pillars' mid span) with little weight gain. "Thin", "Sleek" are marketing tools. OTOH, I don't want a 'Ruggedized", Military model to carry with me
I agree, some are too big. I had a metal case that just kept my kindle from being damaged but it was more like a sleeve, the kindle was great without a case then.

#19  DiapDealer 06-19-2019, 01:45 PM
I'd rather have a device that was too thin, with tons of options to make it as thick as I liked than the reverse.

#20  HarryT 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Quote DiapDealer
I'd rather have a device that was too thin, with tons of options to make it as thick as I liked than the reverse.
My issue is when ultra-light weight is considered the be-all and end-all of design and compromises such aspects as battery life.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register