Mobileread
Work around for foreign language dictionary problem
#11  Alibaba32 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote Stingo
I found a temporary solution to the Kindle Touch foreign language dictionary problem!
and another quote "Forget about setting a default dictionary. So far it seems that the Touch ignores that setting."

Stingo hi, regarding the two quotes above, are these problems relative to all new KTouch devices that have been sold or only some? Also has anybody that you know of, had a response from Amazon CS about them.

Andrew

#12  shinew 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Stingo, yes I tried that within a document, the Chinese dictionary works. Neutral(probably undefined) also works. But you're probably right that specifying to a different language won't work, didn't thoroughly test it though since I don't use the feature.

Alibaba, KT does not support copy & paste. I'm not sure about windows, but I dragged the Chinese dictionary onto my Mac's kindle app, it doesn't work. So it only works on the actual kindle device.

#13  Alibaba32 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Shinew, nice to hear your dictionary worked. the idea behind the copy & paste was incase the dictionaries didn't work! but seems there is a good chance that mine will.
And no, copy & paste does not work on my windows version. anyway thank you and Stingo for all your help, all I have to do now is wait for the KTouch to be available here in Europe. I am English but live in France hence the E to F dictionary and KTouch for quick lookup when reading French.
Look forward to hearing from you Stingo re your two earlier quotes I asked about.

Andrew

#14  Stingo 11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Quote Alibaba32
and another quote "Forget about setting a default dictionary. So far it seems that the Touch ignores that setting."

Stingo hi, regarding the two quotes above, are these problems relative to all new KTouch devices that have been sold or only some? Also has anybody that you know of, had a response from Amazon CS about them.
Andrew,

I can only tell you what I have experienced and found with my touch. I don't know if all touches are the same but since the problem is firmware based rather than hardware I see no reason that it would be different with another device. I have called and e-mailed Amazon and am waiting for them to get back to me from their advanced tech section. The call takers normally don't know what they are talking about with regards to the language support.

#15  Stingo 11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Well, here is some more information on the Kindle Touch dictionary problem. According to Tech support e-mail you have to e-mail the document to the kindle to have it work. Wrong. Books purchased directly from Amazon do not work.

The problem may be how the dictionaries are encoded. I have the Barrons German and MW Spanish dictionaries. Under Dictionary settings they both show up under English dictionaries. Another user says that he downloaded a very expensive new Harper Collins Spanish Dictionary and that it showed up as a Spanish dictionary and seemed to work with Spanish encoded books.

Unfortunately if you remove DRM from the dictionaries and re-encode to their respective language, the Kindle does not see them as dictionaries any longer.

Suggestions?

#16  Doitsu 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM
I have a Kindle 3.3 and I don't have any of these problems that you encountered. If I look up a word, the Kindle always chooses the dictionary based on the language of the ebook. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will only display the first match.

If dictionary lookup is very important to you, you might want to consider getting a used K3 Wifi until Amazon fixes the K4 Touch firmware problems.

Quote Stingo
The problem may be how the dictionaries are encoded. I have the Barrons German and MW Spanish dictionaries. Under Dictionary settings they both show up under English dictionaries.
Just to be on the safe side, you might want to make sure that the dictionaries are properly encoded. The easiest way to do this is opening them with Mobipocket Reader. To do this, simply copy your dictionaries and some ebooks into the Mobipocket Reader's My eBooks folder and then try to look up a word.
If the dictionaries work, you should get a dictionary popup window showing the name of the dictionary and two flags indicating the dictionary languages.
If you get two identical flags, the dictionaries are not properly encoded and the only way to fix this is to change the dictionary input and output languages in the source code and to re-compile the dictionary.

Quote Stingo
Unfortunately if you remove DRM from the dictionaries and re-encode to their respective language, the Kindle does not see them as dictionaries any longer.
Theoretically, you shouldn't have to change the language code of a commercial dictionary. BTW, how did you change the language code?
dic.JPG 

#17  Stingo 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Problem kinda solved. Called Amazon and had them give me a refund for the german and spanish dictionary. Repurchased them again and reinstalled. The Spanish dictionary now installed as a spanish dictionary. Unfortunately the German dictionary was apparently not updated and reinstalled as an English dictionary. I downloaded an inexpensive dictionary and that seemed to work.

#18  Alibaba32 11-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote Doitsu
Just to be on the safe side, you might want to make sure that the dictionaries are properly encoded. The easiest way to do this is opening them with Mobipocket Reader. To do this, simply copy your dictionaries and some ebooks into the Mobipocket Reader's My eBooks folder and then try to look up a word.
If the dictionaries work, you should get a dictionary popup window showing the name of the dictionary and two flags indicating the dictionary languages.
If you get two identical flags, the dictionaries are not properly encoded and the only way to fix this is to change the dictionary input and output languages in the source code and to re-compile the dictionary.
Thanks for the info Doitsu, a great help. I tried your suggestion and my French to English dictionary works fine in mobireader for PC showing the correct flags, Makes translating a breeze. Kindle for PC is restricted in this area and does not recognise my dictionary as a dictionary at all, only as a standalone ebook.
I thought my dictionary wasn't coded correctly, therefore I was reading on the forum about checking/changing the input output languages, to get dictionary to work. you just saved me a lot of tinkering around with hex code.

Regards
Andrew

#19  Doitsu 11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote Alibaba32
Kindle for PC is restricted in this area and does not recognise my dictionary as a dictionary at all, only as a standalone ebook.
The Kindle software versions for PCs and smartphones only support the default 7 monolingual dictionaries. (English US/UK, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese)
The only way to bypass this limitation is to change the ASIN number of the dictionary that you want to use instead.
(The ASIN number for the default French dictionary is B005F12G6U.)
If you want to use your French-English dictionary with K4PC, create a copy of your dictionary, add or change the ASIN to B005F12G6U and replace the default French dictionary in the My Kindle Content folder with your patched version.
IMHO, the easiest way to change the ASIN is to use the Mobiperl command line tools with the Mobi2Mobi GUI. (The ASIN is eth type #113.)

#20  Alibaba32 11-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Doitsu Hi, Once again you come up with the goods. did some knitting with perl, et voila! worked at treat on K4PC.
I don't own an ereader yet but have been following the Ktouch and Kfire. I read that on the Kfire you can't choose the default primary dictionary or use your own standalone dictionary as lookup. This is pushing me to the Ktouch although I like the idea of colour and web access on the Kfire. Do you think the method you suggested I used on K4PC might work on the Kfire? this would allow for my translation needs and I would get the extras the fire offers.
Also, with your experience do you think I should look at another ereader/tablet?

Many thanks again for you help

Andrew

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register